Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

High chair options

(18 Posts)
Zobofrags Mon 01-Aug-11 20:42:27

Hello got a few months to go yet but thought after an epic fail on pushchair research I best start early on the highchair research!!! I have no idea how to choose a high chair, but need it to be unisex and easy to clean does anybody have any recommendations?!? Space isn't an issue and it won't need to leave the house either if that helps with any recommendations!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 01-Aug-11 20:44:10

Look no further!

The Ikea Antilop is what you're after.

Thandeka Mon 01-Aug-11 21:00:56

The antilop is fab as can double aa a travel high chair I think (you can take legs off) but we have an awesome wooden one that converts to a table and chair- I highly rate it (dd is 18months and we just converted it to table and chair) it's by obaby but other places do it. Mothercare does one and it's between £35-50

emsyj Mon 01-Aug-11 21:03:48

I clicked on this to say Ikea Antilop grin

We also have a Cosatto Noodle, which is good for when baby is not too sturdy (DD didn't sit up til she was nearly 8 months). But now we use the Antilop all the time (have loaned the Cosatto one to a friend). They are easy to use and very easy to keep clean. And only £15 including the tray!

befuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 21:09:52

Agree about the Ikea Antilop. If you value your sanity, THIS IS THE ONE YOU NEED. I finally bought one recently for dc3 after trying any number of vastly more expensive, design-led, groovy, aesthetically pleasing, convertible, wholesome looking wooden etc etc ones. They all suffer from the same basic flaw - they are impossible to clean properly and look filthy after less than a day of a baby eating in them. Most of them are also safety hazzards as well (for you) and you will be permanently tripping over them or stubbing your toe on them.

The Antilop takes seconds to clean, always looks wholesome, doesnt take up much space or stick out much, is easy to take with you on holiday etc and is cheap as chips - you could buy one in every colour! It also has an optional tray and inflatable insert for smaller babies (works incredibly well)

I don't know why it took me so long to accept this - probably because they have them in the ikea cafes. Seriously, you cannot go wrong with one of these.

If you must have wooden/desinery then the stokke tripp trapp would be my second choice, but costs about 8 million pounds more (can use for much longer as a toddler chair though)

CMOTdibbler Mon 01-Aug-11 21:16:06

We've had an Antilop and a Tripp Trapp. DS is still using the TT at 5 (to sit comfortably at the dining table, and also as a very stable platform to stand at the kitchen counter and help), and the Antilop went on to someone else.
I loved both as high chairs, but the ability to wipe wheatabix off easily cannot be underestimated in the least - this is where the Antilop wins.

I found friends fancy highchairs to be totally grim after even only a month

emsyj Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:33

Ooooh I didn't know you could get an insert for the Antilop... Will have to look into that. Might just ditch the Cosatto altogether when (if..) friend returns it. It was a bugger to keep clean.

befuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 22:06:28

yes the insert is great - my son is 9m but is small, 2nd percentile and very lazy, only started sitting up last week and loves to loll. He went in it at normal weaning age, just before 6m and tbh the antilop with the inflatable insert was the only solution really as anything else would have been dangerous - he was even too small to be wedged in the bumbo as his thighs weren't chunky enough (older brother had to be vigourously shaken out of it at same age lol) and he kept slippingf out. Even tough he can sit now we still use the insert, but a bit less inflated, as it forces him to sit up and eat otherwise he leans and lolls all over it and drops food over the side etc. Insert can also be easily de-weetabixed with a quick go of a wipe as well, like the chair and you can hose down the whole thing if necessary (OP, if this is your first child, weetabix and weaning babies = spraying liquid concrete at high pressure across your dining room)

I didn't bother getting the tray as it fits nicely just under our table but they seem good too.

wonkylegs Mon 01-Aug-11 22:11:04

I love our tripp trapp and it's still going strong as a 'big boy' chair for a large 3yo. I have nowhere to put ours away so it has to look good too. The TT looks like proper furniture so is perfect for this and it nearly matches our dining room furniture you'd think we'd planned it grin
Our friends recommended it as they have 3 as each child won't give theirs up! I've sat on it in chair mode too and it's quite sturdy.

Zobofrags Tue 02-Aug-11 18:06:43

smile thank you I'm liking the price of the antilop!!! So rare to find things for children at a good price! it sure does look easy to clean too!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Aug-11 20:21:20

I'd definitely give it a go!

messagetoyourudy Tue 02-Aug-11 20:48:49

Ikea antilop is fab - easy to clean, the legs come off it if you need to take it anywhere.

We had ours for both my boys and it lasted very well. Much envied by my sister who spent stupid money on a series of designer ones, but then she also bought a bugaboo so she has more monety than sense full stop.

Oakmaiden Tue 02-Aug-11 20:53:45

I have 2 Tripp Trapps, and my 6 year old and 7 year old still use them. I think they were worth every penny I spent on them - they tuck in nicely under the table when baby is small, letting them be part of family meals, and for older children they are the right height for using cutlery properly, and indeed for practising their handwriting.

ContinentalKat Tue 02-Aug-11 21:00:00

I loved the Tripp trapp, but had a little issue with the price tag. Both my kids had a Tripp trapp copy from eBay for around 30£ each. 5 yo is still using it, 7 yo now decided he is too grown up for his. Very easy to clean and long lasting.

Oakmaiden Tue 02-Aug-11 21:06:44

Yeah, I bought mine back in the days when I had money.... sadly those days have gone now...

Chestnutx3 Tue 02-Aug-11 21:07:34

My nearly 5 year old refuses to sit in her Tripp Trapp although her cousin who is 7 still sits in hers. I did get over 4 years use and DS still in his at 2 years old. When we have tried the antilop mine would not sit in them beyond the age of about 18 months to 2 years.

neolara Tue 02-Aug-11 21:10:38

another antilop lover here

acatcalledfelix Tue 02-Aug-11 21:16:13

Another Antilop evangelist here. I'd like a Tripp Trapp but we don't eat at the table every night as it involved moving furniture round grin and they don't come with a table. Plus they cost a small fortune.

DS has never looked comfortable in any high chair other that the Antilop. We didn't ge the insert but for the first few weeks of weaning I put a pillow in a carrier bag behind him. There is no other high chair that can come close on value for money, easiness of cleaning and, for my DS, comfort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now