Talk

Advanced search

Va Va Voom should this advert be banned for being too sexy

(43 Posts)
perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 12:03:33

I was just browsing the Unipart Car Care Centres Facebook page and came across this post. I don't think this ad should be banned. I think it is very clever how the advert has been created. There is far worse being used in advertising that shouldn't be.

My husband loved the advert. I think in this day and age, people are more tolerant of all this.

Would love to hear what you think. it is the pinned post

https://www.facebook.com/UnipartCarCareCentres?ref=hl

Thisisaeuphemism Fri 19-Jul-13 13:13:51

My mates wouldn't dream of booking me a stripper. They know I'm far too feministic. It is way beyond my wildest imaginings.

I'm also intrigued with what you wrote in your original post: "There is far worse being used in advertising that shouldn't be." Can you tell us more about that?

perrymanku Fri 19-Jul-13 13:14:47

How is that ad any different to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWdINUZZzBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFTDuWZyiU8

HandMini Fri 19-Jul-13 13:14:54

Oh crickey, that is bloody awful, that advert. The saddest thing is that without the tits-out dancers, it would have been quite a cute concept, ie, just the French scene unfolding, but just descends into everything that's wrong with advertising. The poor test driving blokes had the good grace to look a bit uncomfortable with the tit-onslaught.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Fri 19-Jul-13 13:15:12

When I said my friend wasn't impressed with the stripper I meant she wasn't impressed with the concept, not the poor bloke blush. Just realised how awful that sounded.

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 13:15:21

Using the 'well lots of women do it so...' argument doesn't mean it's ok.

Entitled to believe it, sure, but I wouldn't say that it makes it ok.

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 13:16:30

Agree that it was actually a cute concept...until they got those women out grin

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 13:17:57

^ like people have been saying, tit for tat doesn't make it ok. There are lots of ads that are a tad too full on with the objectification of men and women that could do with being questioned. This was just one of them.

RippingYarns Fri 19-Jul-13 13:19:40

i haven't watched the ad, have no interest in it

what am interested in is the theory that you have to sell things to men via their dicks hmm

Thisisaeuphemism Fri 19-Jul-13 13:19:43

Is that your example of far worse being used in advertising that shouldn't be?

RoooneyMara Fri 19-Jul-13 13:20:54

what is your actual point, OP? Or are you not sure?

EatYourCrusts Fri 19-Jul-13 13:25:59

There is, in fact, a version of the advert with topless men, but they're sort of showing off and messing about. It's got a subtly different feel.

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 13:31:45

this is the male version

Still not a fan but it does have a different, jokier feel.

France has a lot going for it. You'd think they could come up with something a little more original than pecs/tits, baguettes/roses grin

PatriciaHolm Fri 19-Jul-13 13:35:35

It hasn't been banned for being "too sexy". It's been banned because the "ad objectified the dancers by portraying them as sexual objects"; for too many closeups of breasts/bottoms with heads obscured - focusing purely on the anatomy, dehumanising the dancers into purely sexual objects and not women. They also objected to the gyrating and approaching the car/driver. Very different to "too sexy". It's entirely possible for something to be very sexy without objectifying the participants.

The Ronaldo one doesn't do that; it's relying on you thinking how good he looks in jeans. The other one is more borderline; but if you are advertising pants you have to expect pictures of people in pants. Advertising cars does not require close ups of women jiggling their breasts.

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 13:40:44

Is Jags Manku your H op ? If so.... biscuit

BigHands Fri 19-Jul-13 13:50:32

They do have great tits though.

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 14:06:19

Big hairy hands?

RippingYarns Fri 19-Jul-13 14:09:20

aye, ones that spend equal amounts of time dragging backwards along the floor or down his their own pants, Orchard?

TheOrchardKeeper Fri 19-Jul-13 19:37:13

yes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now