Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MumsnetGuestPosts (MNHQ) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

Guest post: Nicky Morgan - "Why academisation is best for our schools"

While deputy head Tim Paramour argues that turning all schools into academies is a gamble with our children's futures, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan says the change will allow every student to fulfil their potential

Nicky Morgan

Education Secretary

Posted on: Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

(999 comments )

Lead photo

"I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures."

As parents, we all want the best for our children. We want to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and to help them grow up into well-rounded adults. Making sure that our children have a high quality education is a key part of that.

I want to outline exactly what academisation means and why I truly believe this is the best way forward for our schools. Our children only have one shot at receiving the best education and I am committed to ensuring this happens as swiftly as possible.

We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers - and the academy system does just that. This video tells you more about what an academy is. It gives schools greater autonomy to make the decisions that are right for their community and pupils. After all, we have the finest generation of teachers ever and being part of an academy helps put the power back in their hands.

The most recent results show that the percentage of pupils achieving the expected level in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 in primary academies has risen by 4%, from 67% in 2014 to 71% in 2015. Additionally, when it comes to secondary, it's a similar story with converter academies which are performing 7.2% above the national average, with 64.3% of pupils achieving five good GCSEs.

I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system.

However, a dynamic school system where all schools are academies is just one part of a much wider plan to improve our education system which I set out yesterday in our white paper.

It is every parent's right to know their child is in an excellent school no matter where in the country they live. I am confident that this move will guarantee a higher school standard with each academy held to account for the performance of their pupils.

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning.

Alongside this, we have changed the curriculum and the way that students will be assessed. This will help to raise standards and make sure that your child leaves school with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed. It is imperative that every child fulfils their potential, and this includes stretching the most able pupils.

More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16. And the exams and qualifications young people are awarded will set a new international gold standard that is respected by employers, helping them to succeed in our increasingly global world.

I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures and everything outlined in this White Paper is committed to ensuring that parents and pupils come first. Our goal must always be to ensure every single child leaves school with the best education and the opportunity to excel in adult life. I believe that together, we can achieve that goal.

By Nicky Morgan

Twitter: @NickyMorgan01

Schoolisback1973 Mon 21-Mar-16 20:51:51

Totally disgusted by this!!! She is such a liar..
Nicky, do you really believe the crap you wrote??
How dare do this government go this far with our kids Education? so parents have no say, no other options ?
Petition signed

Valentine2 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:04:46

JUSTINE AND MNHQ

No response yet? What will be your next step?
I think writing "disgrace" across this post and entering it into the Mumsnet classics is in order so pls agree to that. We can wait till tomorrow to hear from her but just want a reassurance from you.
Thanks

shazzarooney99 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:06:07

Keep signing guys, this is our childrens future petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124702

LondonKiwiMummy Mon 21-Mar-16 21:18:38

Late to the party, but as a parent and a governor I am completely opposed to these ridiculous plans. Why are we putting a generation's education at risk for this insanity?

It is a scandal. I'm incredibly angry about this.

Stopmithering Mon 21-Mar-16 21:25:58

There is absolutely no point getting Nicky Morgan back on here for a web chat.
I think the best we can hope for is that she reads it ( and similar discussions on many other forums), has an IDS moment of realisation that she is doing the devil's work and promptly resigns, declaring how wrong the whole thing is.
Realistically, she is a self- serving Tory lie-peddler with little regard for anything but her own career who will keep repeating her bollocks, as that seems to be the Tory way - lie, repeat loudly and often and hope no-one actually picks apart what we are saying.

pigsinbutter Mon 21-Mar-16 21:49:01

hi- we have set up a parent FB page for lambeth parents (Lambeth Parent Action Group). does anyone else know of parents' groups out there who are mobilizing in any kind of way against academies? I know that there are other local groups out there but is there a national one for parents like us who are frankly just fed up with being dictated to on the basis of fuck all evidence.
any links would be great! thanks

Valentine2 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:54:47

Hello MNHQ & JUSTINE

Anybody reading this or a hashtag about you guys is also in order now?
#wheresgeorge is trending right now. 😝

Valentine2 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:55:35

Pigsinbutter
Oh yeah I would like that .

Hooliaaa Mon 21-Mar-16 21:58:24

Patronising condescending waffle. We dont want to hear what you "truly believe". Where is the evidence for this insane plan? There is none. I hope you all sign the petition against this non democratic piece of dangerous ideology.

WhittonMum1 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:00:09

Parents and teachers united in complete and utter outrage at the privatisation of our schools.

The Secretary of State has an obligation to respond to the comments to her guest post.

I cannot understand why we cannot have a Heath Secretary with experience of working in the NHS or an Education Secretary with experience of working in schools. They are both so out-of-touch with doctors and teachers.

dadsnet2014 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:01:14

Fascinating how much bile there is on here with almost nobody able to say why they dislike the policy other than the staple Guardian-lite 'bloody Tories'...

ComfortablyNumb71 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:06:16

9.5 billion worth of property bought with tax payers' money passing on to Tory chums - make no mistake that's what this is really about. It's a land grab - these guys don't give a hoot about our kids' education. Nicky Morgan I will never ever vote conservative again.

Duckdeamon Mon 21-Mar-16 22:08:00

RTFT dadsnet.

forkhandles4candles Mon 21-Mar-16 22:11:53

Dadsnet2014 this thread is full of cogent argument and well informed rebuttal. What are you on about???

BrexitentialCrisis Mon 21-Mar-16 22:13:59

Dadsnet- can you read? As in, decode and comprehend written words? hmm

Think you will find there is a lot of qualified and pertinent criticism on here.

Are you George Osborne?

LineyReborn Mon 21-Mar-16 22:14:25

dadsnet almost everyone on here has given detailed reasons why they dislike the policy.

I also referenced the Tory councillor Peter Edgar in Hants who dislikes the policy and who gave his reasons in an interview to the Hampshire Chronicle.

You haven't read the thread; or are being goady; or are being otherwise mischievous for your own reasons.

LineyReborn Mon 21-Mar-16 22:15:31

Maybe the SPAD baton just got handed over.

JWIM Mon 21-Mar-16 22:16:28

Dadsnet are you happy that the White Paper proposals commit the spending of £500+m of taxpayers money to fund compulsory conversion of 16000 schools to Academy status with no independently ratified data to support the assertion that Academies will provide more successful outcomes for children?

GirlfromtheNorthCountry74 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:16:58

RTFT, Dadsnet, you Govey fucker.

BrexitentialCrisis Mon 21-Mar-16 22:18:02

Nicky Morgan was woeful on channel 4 news earlier. I'm not sure there is much to be gained by having her come back on really.

MumTryingHerBest Mon 21-Mar-16 22:18:11

Interesting that politicians can find plenty of time to carry out their own little PR campaigns but don't have the time to dispel the resultant myths.

Feel free to educate everyone on the many benefits (along with the supporting facts) to be gained by making all schools academies.

Perhaps you will do a better job at persuading people than the OP.

Valentine2 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:20:46

Dadsnet
Are you Nicky Morgan? We have been trying to locate her. Apparently, Arseborne gone missing too. Has not been seen since ages. Consorting over the plan B somewhere I say. Plan A failed big time.
Go help him if you can.

MumTryingHerBest Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:14

dadsnet2014 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:01:14 Fascinating how much bile there is on here with almost nobody able to say why they dislike the policy other than the staple Guardian-lite 'bloody Tories'...

Feel free to educate everyone on the many benefits (along with the supporting facts) to be gained by making all schools academies.

Perhaps you will do a better job at persuading people than the OP.

LineyReborn Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:18

Spadsnet more like.

Valentine2 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:23:18

Brexitential
Point is not if she comes back or not. Point is, if she fails to answer questions, she resigns. OR at the very least MNHQ stamp "disgrace to the nation" on this post and put it in Mumsnet Classic. This should become the standards protocol for any politician who blatantly lies to public on Mumsnet in future too.

This thread is not accepting new messages.