Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MumsnetGuestPosts (MNHQ) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

Guest post: Nicky Morgan - "Why academisation is best for our schools"

While deputy head Tim Paramour argues that turning all schools into academies is a gamble with our children's futures, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan says the change will allow every student to fulfil their potential

Nicky Morgan

Education Secretary

Posted on: Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

(999 comments )

Lead photo

"I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures."

As parents, we all want the best for our children. We want to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and to help them grow up into well-rounded adults. Making sure that our children have a high quality education is a key part of that.

I want to outline exactly what academisation means and why I truly believe this is the best way forward for our schools. Our children only have one shot at receiving the best education and I am committed to ensuring this happens as swiftly as possible.

We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers - and the academy system does just that. This video tells you more about what an academy is. It gives schools greater autonomy to make the decisions that are right for their community and pupils. After all, we have the finest generation of teachers ever and being part of an academy helps put the power back in their hands.

The most recent results show that the percentage of pupils achieving the expected level in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 in primary academies has risen by 4%, from 67% in 2014 to 71% in 2015. Additionally, when it comes to secondary, it's a similar story with converter academies which are performing 7.2% above the national average, with 64.3% of pupils achieving five good GCSEs.

I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system.

However, a dynamic school system where all schools are academies is just one part of a much wider plan to improve our education system which I set out yesterday in our white paper.

It is every parent's right to know their child is in an excellent school no matter where in the country they live. I am confident that this move will guarantee a higher school standard with each academy held to account for the performance of their pupils.

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning.

Alongside this, we have changed the curriculum and the way that students will be assessed. This will help to raise standards and make sure that your child leaves school with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed. It is imperative that every child fulfils their potential, and this includes stretching the most able pupils.

More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16. And the exams and qualifications young people are awarded will set a new international gold standard that is respected by employers, helping them to succeed in our increasingly global world.

I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures and everything outlined in this White Paper is committed to ensuring that parents and pupils come first. Our goal must always be to ensure every single child leaves school with the best education and the opportunity to excel in adult life. I believe that together, we can achieve that goal.

By Nicky Morgan

Twitter: @NickyMorgan01

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 17:55:54

First a hostage video, now a MN guest post.

There's no point trying to convince people Nicky. No-one believes you.

Any chance of focusing on the job in hand and sorting the ks1 reading exemplification out?

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 17:59:07

" We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning."

What unbelievably patronising twaddle!

If you want parents to have a stronger voice, why are you doing away with parent governors, as will happen with the move to academies? Why change from a system with democratically elected stakeholders, to a system with remote, skills-based governors instead who represent business rather than the parents and the local community?

Our voice is being taken away.

How does giving us a portal which allows us to read information and support our children's learning give us a voice? There is nothing in your statement that promises us any kind of voice. You must think we're stupid. Oh yes, you do. We think the school system is too complex for our poor little brains to understand apparently hmm

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:00:19

Petition signed.

EleanorofProvence Fri 18-Mar-16 18:00:51

Can I ask in what way Nicky Morgan is actually qualified to make such decisions about our education system? Ditto the entire Cabinet...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 18:02:52

None whatsoever, Eleanor.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:03:24

Nikki, if your government genuinely believes in empowering teachers to teach how they see fit, why on earth did your party introduce a new National Curriculum only 2 years ago - only to effectively announce it scrapped this week.

What was the point in that?

Are you making this stuff up on the back of a fag packet?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 18:03:40

Of course I'm sure she thinks she is.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:07:21

"We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers"

So why force academies on them?

If the teachers know best they should have an option of whether to become academies surely?

Or, maybe you don't actually trust the teachers one bit?

Maybe this is about privatising the school system and sweet FA to do with improving educational standards for our children.

You have traded our children's education for profit for corporations. How fucking dare you.

DramaQueenofHighCs Fri 18-Mar-16 18:08:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JeepersMcoy Fri 18-Mar-16 18:09:52

From years of working in web for a public sector organisation I have realised that "online portal" is a phrase only ever used by people who haven't got a sodding clue what they are talking about. It makes me want to poke my eyes out in despair, it really does.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:09:59

"More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16"

So no room for creative subjects in this brave new world? Just for private school DC then? Not necessary for us plebs, obviously.

DramaQueenofHighCs Fri 18-Mar-16 18:11:00

Oh and she conveniently forgets the other common statistic about academies which is that they more often than not fail.
Basically statistics can be twisted to show whatever you want. The school I work at fought long and hard not to become an academy and is now a near to excellebt school - another local school became an academy and is now failing dismally... Just saying!

Blueredballoon Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:06

This is so horrifying. And you're incredibly patronising.

Converter academies aren't even necessarily failing schools anyway- and just saying that they're doing better than the national average is a meaningless statistic- you're not comparing figures fairly. But I'm sure you're aware of this.

How can you say you want parents to have a stronger voice when in the next step you're saying that having a mandatory parent governor isn't important? These proposals are a complete and utter joke- and I worry for the future of my DC.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:11

JeepersMcoy yes, and this government have a fantastic record of delivering IT projects successfully and on time, don't they?

Does she expect us to swallow this? They're getting rid of democratic accountability in schools, but it's OK because we're going to get an "online portal"?

FFS.

Do you think she believes a word of what she says?

forkhandles4candles Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:49

This is a joke, right? Despicable.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 18:14:13

I've signed it too

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:01

and this government have a fantastic record of delivering IT projects successfully and on time, don't they?

bwaahahahahahaha Maybe IDS is helping them on their IT stuff. Guess that means the "online parent portal" will be ready when our grandchildren start school.... maybe.....

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:12

Are there protests organised about this?

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:20

The whole government is a joke.
But while they're in power, the joke's on us and our children, sadly.

Fucking depressing sad

ARichVernacular Fri 18-Mar-16 18:20:21

This is the biggest load of disingenuous shit I've ever read.

I work for an academy trust and to say that academies put the control in the hands of teachers is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

You and yours are ruining the education system for the vast majority of people, and pissing all over democracy as you do so. I despise you, even more than your band of profiteers despises people like me (outside the 1%).

SuburbanRhonda Fri 18-Mar-16 18:22:16

Signed and shared.

Thank fuck my last DC in education has just one year to go.

Your partonsining twaddle doesn't cut any ice with parents, Nicky.

SunnySomer Fri 18-Mar-16 18:24:29

Petition signed.
Academisation has NOTHING to do with improving our children's education. The assumption that what's good for one is good for all is quite simply wrong - and demonstrated by looking at the variability of success of academies in England now.
i have so much to write but actually keep deleting it because I'm so angry about this that I can't write it civilly...

Oddoneout63 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:59

FFS stop fiddling with the education system and allow the poor teachers time to get used to the current one - with all this constant 'change for changes sake' they are plain exhausted! No wonder many teachers I know love their jobs but hate the bureaucracy that keeps them looking over their shoulders all the time.

The only reason any government changes the system is to keep themselves & a load of civil servants employed, but the Tories have perfected the art! What happened to giving people a choice - are they so scared we will make the wrong choice that they've decided to only give us one.

George Orwell saw all this coming. Incidentally is 1984 still required reading for English Lit?

AllThePrettySeahorses Fri 18-Mar-16 18:30:40

Gove didn't seem to think we have 'the finest generation of teachers ever.' He declared war and so have you.

Quite soon we won't have any teachers at all and I don't blame them. All I can say is I've bought a LOT of books for my DD. She's not yet 4 and she won't get an education -you putrid bastards-

senua Fri 18-Mar-16 18:33:05

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child ...

... so that's why we are abolishing parent-governors.

I don't get it. confused

This thread is not accepting new messages.