Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MumsnetGuestPosts (MNHQ) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

Guest post: Nicky Morgan - "Why academisation is best for our schools"

While deputy head Tim Paramour argues that turning all schools into academies is a gamble with our children's futures, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan says the change will allow every student to fulfil their potential

Nicky Morgan

Education Secretary

Posted on: Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

(999 comments )

Lead photo

"I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures."

As parents, we all want the best for our children. We want to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and to help them grow up into well-rounded adults. Making sure that our children have a high quality education is a key part of that.

I want to outline exactly what academisation means and why I truly believe this is the best way forward for our schools. Our children only have one shot at receiving the best education and I am committed to ensuring this happens as swiftly as possible.

We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers - and the academy system does just that. This video tells you more about what an academy is. It gives schools greater autonomy to make the decisions that are right for their community and pupils. After all, we have the finest generation of teachers ever and being part of an academy helps put the power back in their hands.

The most recent results show that the percentage of pupils achieving the expected level in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 in primary academies has risen by 4%, from 67% in 2014 to 71% in 2015. Additionally, when it comes to secondary, it's a similar story with converter academies which are performing 7.2% above the national average, with 64.3% of pupils achieving five good GCSEs.

I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system.

However, a dynamic school system where all schools are academies is just one part of a much wider plan to improve our education system which I set out yesterday in our white paper.

It is every parent's right to know their child is in an excellent school no matter where in the country they live. I am confident that this move will guarantee a higher school standard with each academy held to account for the performance of their pupils.

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning.

Alongside this, we have changed the curriculum and the way that students will be assessed. This will help to raise standards and make sure that your child leaves school with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed. It is imperative that every child fulfils their potential, and this includes stretching the most able pupils.

More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16. And the exams and qualifications young people are awarded will set a new international gold standard that is respected by employers, helping them to succeed in our increasingly global world.

I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures and everything outlined in this White Paper is committed to ensuring that parents and pupils come first. Our goal must always be to ensure every single child leaves school with the best education and the opportunity to excel in adult life. I believe that together, we can achieve that goal.

By Nicky Morgan

Twitter: @NickyMorgan01

lljkk Fri 18-Mar-16 17:17:57

Does NM actually believe the stuff she writes?

Would you ask Radio4 More or Less to check all your statistics?

Popcorn, anyone?

megletthesecond Fri 18-Mar-16 17:21:24

She didn't have the guts to come in for a web chat then?

I could pick endless holes in that post but I've got tea and showers to crack on with.

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:25:04

"a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning."
already exists at my dds (non academy) school

they also do the ebacc.
it's a great LA maintained school. The LA is pretty good.

who oversees the academies?

angryangryyoungwoman Fri 18-Mar-16 17:31:10

What a load of rubbish. I can't be bothered to pick apart why, I'll let everyone else do it. I have to put my daughter to bed.
Bloody tories.

LineyReborn Fri 18-Mar-16 17:32:46

Nicky Morgan, you haven't got a clue, have you? Making life easier for parents, really?

When are you going to stop parents being prosecuted for not sending their children to schools that can't even keep those children safe from serious physical, sexual and emotional harm?

When are you going to accept that children with ASD also present more frequently with certain other issues such as epilepsy and depression and that CAMHS is crap at dealing with this?

When are you going to accept that many of today's parents were let down in their youth, and don't have the money or skills to access 'parent portal', and when they don't have WiFi, can't read very well, and have no money.

When are you going to make absent parents pay the full cost of raising their child?

Ffs. Get real.

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:33:34

"In light of the policy changes set out in this white paper, we will review the responsibilities of local authorities in relation to children, including the implications for the roles of the Director of Children’s Services and the Lead Member for Children"

interesting

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:34:34

will you privatize social services too?

rosebiggs Fri 18-Mar-16 17:37:56

If the Conservatives actually do value teachers and their skills/training, then why are academies free to employ unqualified teachers? It's nonsense.

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:38:53

I am struggling to write something that wouldn't earn me a deletion. There is so much wrong with the white paper, I don't even know where to start.

Gove, Morgan and the Conservatives have ruined my children's futures angry sad

lljkk Fri 18-Mar-16 17:40:40

Procedure How to complain to or about an academy school.
Might be handy to bookmark that now.

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:13

Complete and utter rubbish. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for peddling this as an improvement for children's educations.

LineyReborn Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:15

Cameron now thinks Gove is nuts, interestingly.

vindscreenviper Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:28

She's not coming back to answer any questions is she?

Pointless patronising guest post.

tethersend Fri 18-Mar-16 17:42:54

Paaaahahahahaha 😂😂😂 wwooooohhooo😭😭 GOOD ONE
Hang on.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Mar-16 17:43:48

There are petitions to stop this damaging and nonsensical policy. Write to your MP.

I have nothing to say to Nicky Morgan that's fit to print.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:08

Thank goodness my children haven't got too long left in education, this government is disgraceful.

mercifulTehlu Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:32

What a load of absolute crap. If I were even considering voting Tory next time, this above all else would stop me. Paying big bosses of academy chains hundreds of thousands of pounds while being unwilling or unable to recruit, pay and retain qualified and experienced teachers? No thanks.

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:47

I'll just leave this here:
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124702

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:46:52

Beautiful The awful thing is, it will affect your future grandchildren too.

mercifulTehlu Fri 18-Mar-16 17:48:36

Signed.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 17:48:40

I know, it will affect my grandchildren.

It's absolutely outrageous.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Mar-16 17:49:17

Empowering parents by removing parent governors. By denying parents choice. Classic double think.

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 17:50:15

Petition signed.

With the hope that this thread turns into a big long thread of everyone verifying they've signed the petition as well.

sugar21 Fri 18-Mar-16 17:53:10

What a lot of patronising rubbish
Petition signed

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 17:55:54

First a hostage video, now a MN guest post.

There's no point trying to convince people Nicky. No-one believes you.

Any chance of focusing on the job in hand and sorting the ks1 reading exemplification out?

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 17:59:07

" We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning."

What unbelievably patronising twaddle!

If you want parents to have a stronger voice, why are you doing away with parent governors, as will happen with the move to academies? Why change from a system with democratically elected stakeholders, to a system with remote, skills-based governors instead who represent business rather than the parents and the local community?

Our voice is being taken away.

How does giving us a portal which allows us to read information and support our children's learning give us a voice? There is nothing in your statement that promises us any kind of voice. You must think we're stupid. Oh yes, you do. We think the school system is too complex for our poor little brains to understand apparently hmm

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:00:19

Petition signed.

EleanorofProvence Fri 18-Mar-16 18:00:51

Can I ask in what way Nicky Morgan is actually qualified to make such decisions about our education system? Ditto the entire Cabinet...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 18:02:52

None whatsoever, Eleanor.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:03:24

Nikki, if your government genuinely believes in empowering teachers to teach how they see fit, why on earth did your party introduce a new National Curriculum only 2 years ago - only to effectively announce it scrapped this week.

What was the point in that?

Are you making this stuff up on the back of a fag packet?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 18:03:40

Of course I'm sure she thinks she is.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:07:21

"We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers"

So why force academies on them?

If the teachers know best they should have an option of whether to become academies surely?

Or, maybe you don't actually trust the teachers one bit?

Maybe this is about privatising the school system and sweet FA to do with improving educational standards for our children.

You have traded our children's education for profit for corporations. How fucking dare you.

DramaQueenofHighCs Fri 18-Mar-16 18:08:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JeepersMcoy Fri 18-Mar-16 18:09:52

From years of working in web for a public sector organisation I have realised that "online portal" is a phrase only ever used by people who haven't got a sodding clue what they are talking about. It makes me want to poke my eyes out in despair, it really does.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:09:59

"More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16"

So no room for creative subjects in this brave new world? Just for private school DC then? Not necessary for us plebs, obviously.

DramaQueenofHighCs Fri 18-Mar-16 18:11:00

Oh and she conveniently forgets the other common statistic about academies which is that they more often than not fail.
Basically statistics can be twisted to show whatever you want. The school I work at fought long and hard not to become an academy and is now a near to excellebt school - another local school became an academy and is now failing dismally... Just saying!

Blueredballoon Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:06

This is so horrifying. And you're incredibly patronising.

Converter academies aren't even necessarily failing schools anyway- and just saying that they're doing better than the national average is a meaningless statistic- you're not comparing figures fairly. But I'm sure you're aware of this.

How can you say you want parents to have a stronger voice when in the next step you're saying that having a mandatory parent governor isn't important? These proposals are a complete and utter joke- and I worry for the future of my DC.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:11

JeepersMcoy yes, and this government have a fantastic record of delivering IT projects successfully and on time, don't they?

Does she expect us to swallow this? They're getting rid of democratic accountability in schools, but it's OK because we're going to get an "online portal"?

FFS.

Do you think she believes a word of what she says?

forkhandles4candles Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:49

This is a joke, right? Despicable.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 18:14:13

I've signed it too

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:01

and this government have a fantastic record of delivering IT projects successfully and on time, don't they?

bwaahahahahahaha Maybe IDS is helping them on their IT stuff. Guess that means the "online parent portal" will be ready when our grandchildren start school.... maybe.....

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:12

Are there protests organised about this?

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 18-Mar-16 18:15:20

The whole government is a joke.
But while they're in power, the joke's on us and our children, sadly.

Fucking depressing sad

ARichVernacular Fri 18-Mar-16 18:20:21

This is the biggest load of disingenuous shit I've ever read.

I work for an academy trust and to say that academies put the control in the hands of teachers is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

You and yours are ruining the education system for the vast majority of people, and pissing all over democracy as you do so. I despise you, even more than your band of profiteers despises people like me (outside the 1%).

SuburbanRhonda Fri 18-Mar-16 18:22:16

Signed and shared.

Thank fuck my last DC in education has just one year to go.

Your partonsining twaddle doesn't cut any ice with parents, Nicky.

SunnySomer Fri 18-Mar-16 18:24:29

Petition signed.
Academisation has NOTHING to do with improving our children's education. The assumption that what's good for one is good for all is quite simply wrong - and demonstrated by looking at the variability of success of academies in England now.
i have so much to write but actually keep deleting it because I'm so angry about this that I can't write it civilly...

Oddoneout63 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:59

FFS stop fiddling with the education system and allow the poor teachers time to get used to the current one - with all this constant 'change for changes sake' they are plain exhausted! No wonder many teachers I know love their jobs but hate the bureaucracy that keeps them looking over their shoulders all the time.

The only reason any government changes the system is to keep themselves & a load of civil servants employed, but the Tories have perfected the art! What happened to giving people a choice - are they so scared we will make the wrong choice that they've decided to only give us one.

George Orwell saw all this coming. Incidentally is 1984 still required reading for English Lit?

AllThePrettySeahorses Fri 18-Mar-16 18:30:40

Gove didn't seem to think we have 'the finest generation of teachers ever.' He declared war and so have you.

Quite soon we won't have any teachers at all and I don't blame them. All I can say is I've bought a LOT of books for my DD. She's not yet 4 and she won't get an education -you putrid bastards-

senua Fri 18-Mar-16 18:33:05

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child ...

... so that's why we are abolishing parent-governors.

I don't get it. confused

kateemo Fri 18-Mar-16 18:33:06

Oh yes, yet another imposition without consultation by this government. And then they send Nicky "shark bait" Morgan in to give us evidence. OOH AAH.

You know what an online portal means to teachers? Yet MORE hours of work in addition to the extra hours your buddy Gove laid on with the admin. I prefer to talk to my child's teacher face to face. I don't need a fecking portal. Besides, we already have one and no one uses it! It's good for storing the homework assignment, in case we missed it.

Petition signed.

VertigoNun Fri 18-Mar-16 18:34:41

My daughter is turning 18 and has SEN, six years of you made her not only want to vote labour, she joined the party.

You don't give two hoots about children or adults with disabilities and it shows. You seem to equate those that need help the most as being a very different criteria to others.

BettyBusStop Fri 18-Mar-16 18:34:44

Nobody believes you, Nicky. Do you even believe this nonsense yourself? Nobody thinks schools are perfect as they are, but forcing academisation on them is not going to improve matters.

You're little more than a puppet for Hameron. And a fairly inadequate one at that given last night's performance on Question Time.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Mar-16 18:35:28

Ha! I was wondering how to harness the power of MN against this. Looks like Nicky Morgan just did it for us.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Fri 18-Mar-16 18:36:31

yknow, I'm kind of fond of LEAs

the principle, at any rate

where you VOTE for the people in control of your child's education

I'm also fond of trained teachers. Unionised professionals, who are paid a proper wage, on a proper payscale

I could go on- about education being run on a not for profit basis, public buildings being kept in public ownership for public use etc etc

but what do I know, Nicky. I'm just a daft housewife and mum of three, so I'm glad you cleared all that up for me

hmm

Oddoneout63 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:37:26

One of my DSs school had a homework portal but most of the teachers didn't use it, so what makes Nicky M think they'll keep a parents portal up to date?

Oddoneout63 Fri 18-Mar-16 18:38:28

...have time to keep one up to date...

SerenityReynolds Fri 18-Mar-16 18:40:39

Petition signed.

Felyne Fri 18-Mar-16 18:41:05

The link to the video doesn't work, says it's been removed by the user...?
The article has only been here an hour and a half.

BettyBusStop Fri 18-Mar-16 18:41:37

I've signed the petition, not that I have any faith it will make a difference. But at least they'll know we're not happy that they want to shit all over education for great unwashed.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 18:43:07

I think we might have reached the pinnacle for patronising bollocks in MN guest posts. It's going to be difficult for anyone to top this.

A

ILoveMyMonkey Fri 18-Mar-16 18:43:34

Signed the petition and shared.

As a ks1 teacher and a parent to a 3 year old I'm seriously depressed with how our education system has changed over the years and this is the final nail in the coffin. Nicky you should be ashamed of what you are doing to our schools and for ruining thousands of children, and future children's, education!

mrz Fri 18-Mar-16 18:45:16

By the DfE data LEA schools perform better than academies

SuffolkNWhat Fri 18-Mar-16 18:45:59

If you value us Nikki then why are you abolishing QTS? By all means change the training system but by taking away this internationally recognised qualification you are telling us what you really think of the people who should be in front of a class.

Feenie Fri 18-Mar-16 18:46:40

88% of primary schools are good or better, Nicky. Why do they need changing? Particularly when the data shows that LEA schools outperform academies. This is all a sham. I'm delighted that you've chosen MN to allow us to tell.you how transparent this all is.

#tellNickyNO

Creatureofthenight Fri 18-Mar-16 18:48:28

Petition signed.
This is a travesty.

BettyBusStop Fri 18-Mar-16 18:48:39

I think the only thing that could top this is getting George Osborne on to give us all some household budgeting advice. Not that I'd trust him to manage a piggy bank.

bearleftmonkeyright Fri 18-Mar-16 18:48:44

I am absolutely outraged by this. I don't think I could be more angry. Taking away democratically elected governors and replacing them with self appointed, self serving representatives does not serve the school and the children. The governors are unaccountable to parents and forced academisation means they will be unaccountable to local government. So in effect, the education policy of any future government will mean nothing. We will have no say. That is frightening. They have taken away our democratic right to vote on education policy.

OrangeNoodle Fri 18-Mar-16 18:49:20

Academisation puts power in the hands of an executive head and a corporate board and that is IT.

Our local primary has lost over 60% of its staff since academisation a year ago, including the head, who isn't being replaced. This is all because the executive head wanted them out. For no good reason.

I know through contacts that this executive head is not to be trusted. She is an evangelical Christian who has brought in her church cronies. The kids were on the verge of being taught creationism. I kid you not.

Our governors have all been removed in favour of the new executive board. Who have never even visited the village.

Teaching and behaviour deteriorated so quickly after academisation that we withdrew our child and sent her to a private school kid year. We are lucky we can afford to do this but I am devastated for the village school.

OrangeNoodle Fri 18-Mar-16 18:50:47

*mid

RufusTheReindeer Fri 18-Mar-16 18:51:47

If becoming an academy was a good idea then my childrens school would be an academy

I can't believe the stupidity of a government that would....

No wait, i have no words that don't involve swearing

I spent most of yesterday trying work out whether my children would dodge this bullet

And no parent governors, thats a great example of empowering parents ...NOT!!

Haggisfish Fri 18-Mar-16 18:55:06

Hahaha! Parent and teacher here. Utter twaddle by nicky Morgan. Thank goodness for the children I teach-they are the only thing keeping me in my job at the moment. My dr has said he will sign me off with stress because of the ridiculous demands put upon us by government. I voted Tory as I truly believed in those who can work, should work. Last bloody time I ever vote for them, rest assured.

minifingerz Fri 18-Mar-16 18:56:03

How many Tories have their children at academies?

Nicky Morgan's child goes to a private school.

That tells you everything you need to know about her confidence in academies.

RufusTheReindeer Fri 18-Mar-16 18:56:07

Should clarify that i am sure that its a good idea for some schools to look at the information and decide that they want to be an acadamy

But not be forced to if they have decided that the answer is no

SuffolkNWhat Fri 18-Mar-16 18:58:14

I work in an academy. The difference being we chose to convert to a MAT that has a track record in areas such as ours. No one should be forced.

coffeeisnectar Fri 18-Mar-16 18:59:53

I think we should get Tomlinson on next to tell us how cutting £30 a week will improve our disabilities.

This op is like a patronising person talking to a bunch of 5 year olds.

How can continually changing the way our dc are taught help anyone? Just let the teachers do their jobs.

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 19:01:47

Petition

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124702

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 19:02:34

So, in summery, the white paper will:
- force all schools to become charitable companies in the form of academies.
- get rid of parent governors.
- intoduce a parent portal it system
- and allow schools to let anybody teach the children, no matter if they are qualified or not.

Have I missed anymore scary inclusions in it, or is that all?

bearleftmonkeyright Fri 18-Mar-16 19:03:59

I do believe there is way too much influence by the church in schools.

OrangeNoodle Fri 18-Mar-16 19:04:40

This post is such utter rot.

Ms Morgan's two main points - the parent portal and the curriculum changes, could have been done without academisation.

I just don't see what academisation has to do with these two points. Nothing. That's what.

Academisation is about giving power to corporates and to the church. Not to teachers or parents.

This woman must think we are all daft.

onelasttrythenimout Fri 18-Mar-16 19:06:09

The damage is already done in our area. Executive headteachers and unreachable targets for both my children with SEN. I get to watch them struggle because the academy don't SEE them as being in need of additional support and I can't do nothing about it because they can do what ever the hell they like. I will be home schooling very soon and I will get both my children where they deserve to be, at the top.

PhilPhilConnors Fri 18-Mar-16 19:07:03

Dd is at an academy and doing well. She suits the ebacc subjects they are forced encouraged to choose, she is likely to stay in the sixth form, go on to university.

Ds was at the same academy, was given zero support for his SN, was not allowed to choose a non-academic subject, his mental health has been nose-diving for a while.
We have taken him out to HE him.

Tories are not only dismantling the NHS, they are doing the same to education. Why the hell can't they leave education to those who know what they're doing.
The divide between state and private school children will become wider and wider (perhaps that's the Tory plan?) and DC wit SN will,stand no chance at all.

It's shit.

PrettyBrightFireflies Fri 18-Mar-16 19:10:25

Parent governors are not currently accountable to the parent body.

They do not represent the views of parents.

They are elected as representative parents and do not and should not take the views of other parents to the table.

There is absolutely no point in arguing against this White Paper with inaccurate assertions based on the scaremongering headlines of the media.

ouryve Fri 18-Mar-16 19:13:17

Has this been done yet?

biscuit

ShatnersBassoon Fri 18-Mar-16 19:14:14

glowfrog Fri 18-Mar-16 19:15:05

I don't recall privatisation of education in the Tory manifesto last May. Did I miss it!

slicedfinger Fri 18-Mar-16 19:15:08

Signed and shared. You make me sick Nicky Morgan.

BettyBusStop Fri 18-Mar-16 19:18:20

Glowfrog, it was right there next to 'cut disability benefits'. Oh, wait...

ShatnersBassoon Fri 18-Mar-16 19:18:53

I bet MNHQ were positively gleeful when this was put to them. Pressing 'Post' must have been like lighting the touch paper on the London NYE fireworks grin

ohforfoxsake Fri 18-Mar-16 19:24:11

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 18-Mar-16 19:25:15

I do believe there is way too much influence by the church in schools.

We went from an outstanding CofE primary school to requiring improvement in one Ofsted report. hmm We were then forced to become an academy. Before the budget announcement the IEB had already decided that our best way forward was to join the local Diocese MAT. So now we will be mostly controlled by the church. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

ohforfoxsake Fri 18-Mar-16 19:26:23

LyndaNotLinda Fri 18-Mar-16 19:26:28

Oh dear Nikki, what a load of bullshit. You can't possibly believe this crap you're peddling. Actually I'm pretty sure you don't. You can't actually be that stupid.

I'm surprised you can even sleep at night, putting your own career before children's futures. I wish I could look you eye and tell you why you're so very wrong. But I expect you're still smarting from your performance on QT last night when you totally crumbled.

You know they're using you as a flak jacket, right? You're the idiot that they're shoving out in front to deal with all the vitriol for their heinous policies. You do know you're only there to tick the 'women in power' box, right? Plus of course, it's much easier and more comfortable to sell you down the river because you're not part of their gang, however much you'd like to be.

I actually feel a bit sorry for you. You're absolutely fucked and you've been absolutely fucked over by the men you trusted.

HamaTime Fri 18-Mar-16 19:27:22

I could weep at the disaster that is my children's education. My youngest still has 10 years to go and it's getting worse and worse.

I do not want a parent portal (seriously - who gives a fuck)
I do not want 'standards to be raised by changing the way students are assessed' as I strongly suspect this will be along the lines of fattening a pig by weighing it. I am sick to the back teeth of assessments and tests and the constant 'evidencing' that has replaced actually getting shit done.
I do not want the curriculum to be changes every 4 seconds
I do not want creative subjects to be wiped out as if they have no value, and I say this as a person with a degree in chemistry and a degree in physics. Nobody loves STEM more than me but there is no point in churning out a load of reluctant scientists. I've spent enough time in China to see what a disaster that is.
I don't want a load of randoms employed as teachers. I want teachers to regain the status of the qualified professionals they are and be left alone to teach, and be properly paid for it.
The world has always been global. Hope that helps.

AntiqueSinger Fri 18-Mar-16 19:28:19

Great massaging of the statistics there Nicky. Perhaps you're assuming that the parents who are too stupid to be governors at their own children's school, will also be too feckless to question them?

But since we're gradually doing away with democracy (you know that little thing that so many men and women gave their lives for), will the children also be forced to read pronouncements from the book of Chairwoman Nicky at morning assembly?

ricketytickety Fri 18-Mar-16 19:28:24

Um, your idea of potential is not what our kids could really achieve, given half a chance. Your idea of 'potential' for ordinary folk is working some semiskilled job to make a profit for the wealthy few. Our idea of potential is that one day our kids could run the country and get back the democracy their great grandparents fought for and the welfare system they set up to help those that need it....and take back our money from the wealthy cronies who use 'austerity' to keep us all struggling whilst they privatise our lives.

Stop lying to us. Tell us why you are really selling off our schools to private companies who fail to run them properly.

redgoat Fri 18-Mar-16 19:30:02

Parent and KS1 teacher here (16 years experience). I am so angry about what is being done to our education system by this government that I cannot actually type it. I'd be banned.

I echo the sentiments of most here. I loathe the woman and Gove. They don't have a clue and are ruining education and nothing is being adequately done to stop them.

The systematic breaking of unions have disabled us. There is no coordination to make a stand.

I am leaving teaching at the end of this year. It's not that I can't cope. It's that I won't do 'this' to children any more. I won't stress them out with this new curriculum and ridiculous assessments that place no value on a child.

I'm taking my children out of our system too. The Tories will not fuck up my children.

BombadierFritz Fri 18-Mar-16 19:30:37

What tosh. You should be endlessly and thoroughly ashamed of your actions, destroying the education system in England.

AskBasil Fri 18-Mar-16 19:31:11

Nicky, all I want to know, is where is your democratic mandate for this? I don't remember it being in your manifesto.

Are there any other major changes your government are planning, which you didn't mention in your manifesto?

I dunno, like privatising the NHS bit by bit, dismantling the welfare state bit by bit, you know, that sort of thing?

MinnieF1 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:35:29

I think I'm right in saying that academies aren't required to publish their sen data. That could be why some appear to improve on paper Nikki. The reality is v different. Have you ever stepped foot inside an academy? Or spoken to a teacher for that matter?

This thread is not accepting new messages.