Talk

Advanced search

cv advice please...

(9 Posts)
jerin Sun 13-Jun-10 11:17:20

can anyone give me some advice on how to write a good cv please. What should i include, exclude. ↲Anyone have any links to see how it should look please?↲I'm about to start applying for jobs but seems an eternity since doing this last time... Tia

Ryma Sun 13-Jun-10 15:05:42

When was last time?

brennannbooth Sun 13-Jun-10 18:20:39

Here's some advice from the BBC: link

girlynut Sat 19-Jun-10 05:51:04

Just your name at the top - don't put "CV" - it should be obvious that it's one!

Keep personal details basic - no need for age, sex or marital status. Just need contact details.

Next bullet point some key skills - communication, decision-making, leadership and try to give a brief example e.g. led a team of 12 staff to achieve targets in a customer facing environment.

Employment - in reverse chronological order -employer, dates, role, responsibilities and achievements.
Focus on the skills you used - organisation, flexibility, team work with examples. This is the most important bit as it will show employers how you handle different situations.
If you've been out of work for a while, explain what you've been doing - there's no shame is saying you've been at home raising the kids.

Education and qualifications - reverse chronological order

Interests - keep brief, couple of lines

References - either state two or just put "available upon request"

firstchoice20111 Sun 31-Jul-11 20:30:59

Here is a few good sites that you can go to help you with cv and cover letter. They were really helpful when i was writing a cv and cover letter.

Let me know what you think

getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/0...terview_26.html
getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/0...-interview.html
www.squidoo.com/cover-letter-that-get-interviews
www.squidoo.com/interview-thank-you-note

firstchoice20111 Tue 02-Aug-11 11:51:38

sorry the first two links are broken.

Try these instead
http://getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/05/email-thank-you-note-after-interview_26.html
http://getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/05/email-thank-you-note-after-interview.html

firstchoice20111 Tue 02-Aug-11 11:52:11

sorry the first two links are broken.

Try these instead
getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/05/email-thank-you-note-after-interview_26.html
getgoodatlife24.blogspot.com/2011/05/email-thank-you-note-after-interview.html

An0therName Tue 02-Aug-11 21:44:31

firstchoice you know this was an old thread right - re the thank you letter after interview - I wouldn't do it in the uk - not sure it comes over well

firstchoice20111 Sat 03-Sep-11 16:27:38

thank you for letting me know. Sorry for contributing soo late

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now