Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this feasible?

(5 Posts)
Tipex Wed 10-Aug-05 19:17:54

I thoought I had cracked DS taking a bottle but hes so tempramental about it I cant rely on it. So, he'll be almost 7 months when I go back to work in 3 weeks, breastfed but having some solids. I'll be doing 2 mornings and 1 full day. is it likely that he'll survive with a bit of boob milk via a sippy cup and extra solids eg yoghurt to compensate for missed boobs feeds? he'll miss his 11am feed on my half days and also his 3pm feed on the full day? (he also has an early morning feed about 7ish and a bedtime feed at 6:30pm plus 1 or 2 overnight feeds).
What do you all reckon? possible? if not, I'll be trying to leg it over to the childminder to feed him!

Hattie05 Wed 10-Aug-05 19:22:55

Physically yes his body will cope. I think if anything, the question is how 'attached' to the boob is he? He may get a little unsettled with the childminder when he realises he won't be getting his usual comfort feed.

I did similar when dd was 3mths. I went back to work partime, flexible hours in the local area. Sometimes she drank ebm from bottles, sometimes she refused it and went without. Generally i think she was ok, the problem was that she relied on these feeds to get herself to sleep, so it involved whoever was looking after her to go on lots of long walks, or rocking in the arms to get to sleep instead.
I did pop over to feed her if i was nearby and had the time. As i work in the community so basically my office is my car!

Tipex Wed 10-Aug-05 19:32:09

He doesnt use the boob to get to sleep (altho thats another story as he'll only have day naps in his pushcahir!!) and doesnt hanker for the boob in between those 4 day feeds. Its just that I've never tried having him go without a feed...why would I, and am only now beginning to see that if he still refuses a bottle I'll have to think of some other way around it. i couldnt bear it if he will just scream and scream for food and wont take it. poor thing.

Hattie05 Wed 10-Aug-05 19:39:17

He'll be fine. As hes getting older, hes going to be relying more and more on solids - and its great he doesn't need feed to sleep! .
I used to work in a nursery, and bf babies often wouldn't take bottles from us initially (even if they let their family members feed them a bottle). But after a couple of weeks and they were settled and knew us better, they did take the bottles.
I think it is more to do with the settling process anyway and getting used to a stranger, there will be some tears, but it won't take him long to get into the swing of things.
These first days are always worse for us mummies than they are for our children!

I found that if my dd didn't take much milk whilst i was at work, she'd make up for it with one long marathon feed of an evening. YOu may find your son will do that.

Hope all goes well!

Tipex Wed 10-Aug-05 19:41:16

thanks hattie, i am just so nervous of the whole thing that the bottle refusual has just made me more anxious if that were possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now