Talk

Advanced search

My boss is making it hard for me to go back to work...

(6 Posts)
littlestar Mon 25-Jul-05 15:58:17

I'm due to go back to work in the New Year, when ds will be 9 months. When I was pregnant my boss mentioned the possibility of going back part-time. Now he's decided that wouldn't work and is giving me the option of going back for 3 days a week for 3 months, after which I must commit to going back full-time.

I love my job and we need my income. But I don't want to work full-time and I don't think it's in my son's best interests to be in nursery 5 days a week, 8am-6.30pm.

To be honest, my boss isn't being wholly unreasonable as my job requires me to be in the office 5 days a week and it would be hard to make it work on a part-time basis. But I also think he's deliberately making it very hard for me to return - I'm the first employee to have a baby and I don't think they are keen to have me back.

To complicate matters. my secret plan was to go back part-time for a year or so, whilst trying for another baby. I know I could give up my job and look for another one but I've no idea how easy that would be, so I'd love to hear other mums' experiences of this.

Sorry for such a long rant but I feel so upset and disappointed, I don't know what to do, and I've got nobody to moan to! I would love to hear your thoughts please...

Kelly1978 Mon 25-Jul-05 16:05:51

I can undserstand you don't want to go back full time, I'd hate it. Couldn't the job become a job share? There is information in a pdf file here which might be useful. My dp had to make a formal aplication for flexible working after the dts were born and was successful.

MascaraOHara Mon 25-Jul-05 16:20:07

Hi I was 'encouraged' to go back full-time. I thought I'd hate it but it soon becomes the norm and dd has thrived at nursery imho. she goes to her grandparents a couple of afternoons a week but she loves nursery and is generally now (at 3) hurrying me out of the door in the morning. No answers I'm afriad but just wanted to let you know that it can work out, you could go back whilst still deciding what to do. I think you can request a change in your contract until your children are 6 (flexi-time, hoem working, change in hours etc) but I don't know any details I'm afraid.

expatinscotland Mon 25-Jul-05 16:26:36

The employer has to demonstrate that they made a reasonable effort to accommodate your needs, but if you job is something that really needs a person to be there 5 days a week you're standing on lose ground.

How much do you really need the income? Would it possible to work the 3 months - so as not to have to pay back the employer for maternity time - and then get another job that's part time?

butty Mon 25-Jul-05 16:36:23

by the new government legislation you are allowed to graduate back into work over a period of 6 months which is classed as flexi time and you are also entitled to 20 days parental leave (unpaid) for days that you need with your child and they cannot discriminate against that as every parent who is the main carer has these entitlements.

littlestar Tue 26-Jul-05 09:35:05

Thanks everyone.

Kelly1978 - unfortunately there is no chance of job-sharing or flexit-time - this is non-negotiable, apparently

expat - why would I have to pay back my employer?

mascara - how old was your dd when you went back to work?

I am now thinking I have to give it a try. I imagine I'll know fairly quickly whether or not it's working out, then I can decide whether to stay on full-time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now