Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Choosing childcare when returning to work?

(7 Posts)
curtains Mon 18-Jul-05 21:12:56

I've been a SAHM now for 8 years, but I'm really missing the company of work, never mind the money. The company I worked for has closed down long ago and as we also moved I lost contact with old work collegues. So if I returned to work it would probably be for about £5-6 an hour, so probably not worth it with 2 dd's. But I'd love to as I really miss getting out of the house and mixing with work collegues.

My problem is I can't get my head around someone else looking after my kids. After being at home 8 years, I've got to know all the local childminders here and all of them seem to dislike the job but are stuck doing it for the money. They are okay with the kids they have, but there's no-one I feel happy leaving the kids with. Also the private nurseries round here don't get much of a good name from lots of conversations I've had with other mums at the school gates who use them. I've got no relatives nearby who could help, and most of my friends don't work or do send their kids to a childminder even if they're not entirely happy.

Don't know what to do. Would love to work but who'd look after the dd's??

ssd Mon 18-Jul-05 21:21:54

Isn't there anyone else who could have the kids?

bobbybob Mon 18-Jul-05 21:25:52

Why don't you become a childminder?

curtains Mon 18-Jul-05 21:28:00

I've thought about this but dh is dead against it.

ThePrisoner Tue 19-Jul-05 00:02:17

Do these childminders really only do it for the money?? - stick a group of childminders together and we'll have a good old moan about everything (in the same way that any group of workers will), but it doesn't mean we don't enjoy our jobs!

Hope they don't live near me! Gosh, hope it ISN'T me!! Eeek!

Why is your dh against it for you? You could just have schoolchildren before/after school/holidays, so your house won't look too much like a toyshop! Or just have one/two children part-time.

Could you do everning/weekend work if it fits in with your dh so you don't need childcare?

curtains Tue 19-Jul-05 08:28:23

The thing is I've spent all of these years with my dd's and I feel like I don't want to be stuck in the house with another group of young kids! Also it's adult "work" company I miss and if I was a childminder kids would be my main company again.
Evening or weekend work is a good idea, but I don't know any jobs that are available then.
Does anyone have any advice that might be working these days/hours?

bobbybob Tue 19-Jul-05 19:57:05

Supermarket customer services or checkouts seem to want people in the evenings and weekends. Dh did it as a second job when we needed some more money.

Call centres work more than a 9-5 day and you can often pick your hours.

Remember even if these seem badly paid - that you will not have childcare costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now