Reason for leaving old job on an application - can anyone help me?

(17 Posts)
LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 13:11:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
NinjaChipmunk Wed 06-Jan-10 13:33:20

what job are you going for? just thinking of the kind of things i put. Maybe you could say you are looking for a new challenge or your old job was not enough responsibility? need a bit more info if poss as to is this is a specific job application or just in general

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 13:46:26

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 13:54:16

maxpower Wed 06-Jan-10 13:59:11

why don't you just say that you left to spend some time caring for your child, but you're now ready to go back to work? I've been in the position of recruiting new staff and I certainly wouldn't be put off by that reason.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 14:02:50

NinjaChipmunk Wed 06-Jan-10 14:06:17

i also think its ok to politely say that you couldn't return to your previous position after maternity leave and the role you were given was not what you wanted to do/ right for your skills/ not challenging and that you were fortunate to be in a position that enabled you to spend quality time with your child and to be able to spend time looking for the right role without pressure (ie you won't take just anything cos its money). try to make all your sentences positive,, i've filled out LOTS of applications and am now a bloody wizard at the personal statement. its well worth looking up some cv wbsites as they have lts of tips for this sort of thing. hth?

TheOldestCat Wed 06-Jan-10 14:07:00

Agree with maxpower. Have been recruiting recently and that certainly wouldn't have put me off.

You could say you enjoyed the break but are ready for a new challenge etc.

Good luck!

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 14:22:43

NinjaChipmunk Wed 06-Jan-10 14:29:20

good luck!

Oblomov Wed 06-Jan-10 15:36:19

I think it is very important to stress that your old job was a poor pre mat leave offer. in a nice /professional sounding way. because that was the truth. it was crap. mismatched to skills, de-moted from old job. THOSE were the real reasons you left, not just that you 'fancied a bit of time off to childcare'.

Speckledeggy Wed 06-Jan-10 16:54:28

I'm a bit confused.

Can you tell us what the jobs are:-
Pre-maternity
Post-maternity
You are applying for now

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 18:37:22

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Jan-10 18:39:06

Speckledeggy Wed 06-Jan-10 21:25:02

Oh yeah, I understand. Was just getting a bit confused about what you'd done and when. If it's any consolation, I haven't a clue who you are!

I think you should just be fairly honest. I would say I really enjoyed my pre-maternity job especially the PA part if that's a large part of the new job. I would then explain that my job was changed after I came back from maternity and despite my best efforts it just wasn't working (explaining that I like to be a pivotal member of the team doing varied work and making a valid contribution, blah, blah, blah). For this reason, I would tell them I decided to leave, take some time out and take stock. Having had 6 months off, I realise that I really miss being in a PA role and am keen to get back in the swing of things.

I was really fed up with my last job and packed it in when my Dad fell seriously ill. I ended up taking almost 6 months off. Unfortunately, he died so it was probably the best decision I ever made. I now have a really nice job for a very caring organisation. My boss was impressed that I had packed my job in for my Dad and I think that and being honest actually helped me to get the job.

The only other thing I would say is, is this job really part-time? PA jobs are normally pretty full on. I've been one for quite a long time so I've just about seen it all I'm afraid!

LadyintheRadiator Thu 07-Jan-10 10:29:57

Speckledeggy Thu 07-Jan-10 18:12:35

Well, if they have a job description and it's detailed then that's probably a good sign in that they know exactly what they want you to do. With any luck you won't just end up as a dumping ground doing work that other people don't want to do as is the case with some PA jobs.

If it's the right job you will get it so don't worry too much about the time off. You will be just fine. Good luck with the application and let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in