Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Teachers out there to advise me?

(7 Posts)
dycey Thu 05-Nov-09 21:53:37

My Head told me today that he was no longer able to offer me my 3 day a week permanent position as we had arranged a year ago (after maternity leave) but that I could return to my old full time post.

Am going back to work in January and he can offer me a 2 day a week position til September after which it becomes full time.

I don't feel able to manage a FT job - too intense and demanding at that school and also DH is abroad a lot and DS is a baby.

Can you tell me - is it v difficult to get PT teaching jobs? Am based in LOndon so lots of schools. And what's the best way to get a Teaching job these days? I got my last one through a supply job turned good.

ANY ADVICE hugely appreciate - am reeling a bit!

KnottyLocks Fri 06-Nov-09 12:14:13

I suggest that you talk to the Human Resources dept (LEA) regarding the change of hours offered. I think that where possible schools have to try to accommodate your request. You could also ask advice from your union, they will have all the info regarding employment rights and working mothers.

I hope you get it all sorted.

tethersend Fri 06-Nov-09 12:20:56

Your school needs to prove that your request for flexible working hours cannot be accommodated- legally, the onus is on them to do this.

Please talk to your union rep- and join one if you're not in one- your head seems very unreasonable.

If the post is full time, have you discussed the possibility of a jobshare? If the post is to be full time from September, that leaves plenty of time to recruit a jobshare partner on a 0.4 basis.

Can I ask what your job title is? Are you primary or secondary?

dycey Fri 06-Nov-09 12:47:04

Thank you - I am in Primary - more difficult to get PT perhaps?

That's an interesting idea about recruiting a jobshare for September. I might put that to him.

As a 3 day position I was going to do cover but the school has already got 2 part time cover teachers and basically I think he offered me something he can no longer afford. He wants me as a FT teacher in the classroom.

Spoke to my Union but apparently as it was not on paper and all was informal I would have to go through uncomfortable complaints procedure... I would rather find another job for September.

Thanks for your help

dycey Fri 06-Nov-09 13:14:02

Just thought though that if I get another job I will need to be careful not to get pregnant too quickly as my maternity leave pay wouldn't be as good til I had done the 26 weeks. Is that right?

Thanks for your help

tethersend Fri 06-Nov-09 13:31:33

Hmmm, not sure- they changed the requirements a couple of years ago I think; have a look at the maternity matters document from the NUT. Click on the link to download it as a word document, should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck

jeffily Mon 09-Nov-09 13:09:25

Hi Dycey

Don't know if this will be any help to you, but I am also primary and gojng back in Jan in a job share. My HT was v reluctant and wld have said no, but under the new flexible working laws, if you make a formal request they find it quite hard to say no. I'm quite familiar with the process now, so if you were interested wld b happy to give u more detail. If u really want to stay it might be worth giving it a go?
I had a little look about when i thought he might say no, and PT jobs seemed v few- when he advertised for the other half of mine he got lots of interest (I'm in E Sussex).

As far as SMP and OMP goes, I understand that service in the same LA counts as continuous, even if u move schools. The 26 weeks you have to work to be entitled to SMP can also be while you are pregnant as long as they finish before the 'qualifying week'- the date u have to tell yr HT of your plans for MT- 15weeks before your EDD.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now