Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you fit it all in?

(17 Posts)
Lilliput Thu 16-Jun-05 21:00:20

At some point in the future I am going to have to go back to full time employment and I was wondering how on earth I am going to fit everything else that needs doing into my life and time. When I say everything I mean housework, me time, time with the kids, time with dh. How do other people do it?

compo Thu 16-Jun-05 21:03:03

Housework - after work or at weekends (get the kids and dh to help
Me time - in lunch break or perhaps going out with friends once a week, fitness class or similar maybe
Time with kids - after work and at weekends
Time with dh - once kids are in bed and at weekends.
Hope that helps!

helsy Thu 16-Jun-05 21:03:14

Get a cleaner if you can afford one. Or ignore mess. Do the important stuff - time with kids, time for you and DP.

Skribble Thu 16-Jun-05 21:24:47

I don't really do house work,
Kids, I pick them up from school anyway, so afternoons and early evenings.
Me, Wednesdays at the moment, like to lunch with MIL.
DH evenings if hes not working.

Gwenick Thu 16-Jun-05 21:25:56

chuckle -

Sorry - didn't see what topic this post was in - just the title and was about to post a smutty answer

Nightynight Thu 16-Jun-05 21:27:55

Lets just say, standards have to slip a bit.

Nightynight Thu 16-Jun-05 21:28:41

wash your mouse out Gwenick

Snowbell Fri 17-Jun-05 12:15:52

Lilliput, I know where you're coming from. I was going to post something like this myself.

I am starting a full-time job in just over a week's time, and really don't know how I'm going to manage. I have been working part-time (2-3 days a week), but I have a feeling this is going to be different!

Any tips welcome!

ninah Fri 17-Jun-05 12:19:13

I don't think full-time is a LOT worse than say 3 days a week. The 'me time' suffers, tho!

QueenFlounce Fri 17-Jun-05 12:29:18

Lilliput - I'm afraid it's my housework that suffers!!

ninah Fri 17-Jun-05 12:31:46

well my housework was always a bit ...err .. ad hoc
when I was part-time was one of those awful mums who used to put ds in childcare and go to the gym (didn't go as far as 'coffee in my own home' tho lol)

bloss Fri 17-Jun-05 12:37:49

Message withdrawn

ninah Fri 17-Jun-05 12:40:07

and an ironer, godsend
£10 a week to never touch an iron ..

welshmum Fri 17-Jun-05 12:53:01

Cleaner who does a bit of ironing is a must if you can afford it.
Get the shopping delivered.
Evenings and the odd night out with DH keeps us going - plus trying to retain a sense of humour.
Children - focus on them whenever you're together - no chores - unless they help you and it's 'fun'.
You time - journey to work, lunchtime at work and organise a regular night out with the girls.
It is scary and it does feel like a treadmill some of the time - but also can feel like a massive achievement on the odd day when you get it right!

janinlondon Fri 17-Jun-05 13:40:15

Typical day: Get a load of washing on and clean the kitchen when I get up (about 6ish), clean bathroom while using it (try not to get bleach on body while showering!!!), Tidy away the bedroom as I'm getting dressed, Clean up DDs room as I'm organising her, walk her to school, run to station, work till 6, run to train, run from station, cook DD dinner, unload washing, load dryer and dishwasher, do homework and play with DD, put DD in bath, clean bathroom and change sheets while talking to her, put her to bed, sort out school clothes/bag and my work clothes, cook dinner, unload dishwasher, unload dryer and put away clothes, tidy playroom, sort out bills, go to bed. Repeat ad nauseum. As a treat you get to vaccum, dust and buy groceries on weekend. Don't buy any clothes that can't be thrown in the dryer or that need ironing or you'll lose 8 minutes a day. Crucial!!

wysiwyg Mon 20-Jun-05 10:40:13

I try to have set days for doing things - (like the old "washday Monday" theory) eg. blitz clean the house all in one go for a couple of hours a week (don't tell my mum she would be horrified!) and don't care!
Write to do lists - often so busy that I forget what I went to buy/had to do.
Get other people in the family to help - husband/partner, even children - my dd from about age 2 had a "job" of putting her dirty clothes in the wash basket (gives them a sense of responsiblity in the family) she loved it.
Have realistic expectations
Plan in some me time.

Just remember when you are doing a blue-a**e fly impression that people who don't have kids/jobs/juggling still say to you "I don't know how you fit it all in" but spend 10 hours a week watching soaps. So if you want more time - don't watch telly.Just a thought

elliott Mon 20-Jun-05 10:58:10

I work 4 days and actually don't think my life would be significantly harder in terms of fitting things in if I worked full time. My day off is spent with the kids, I do a bit of washing and phone calls and go to one local shop, but that's all I'd have to fit in if I was working that day instead. Of course time with kids would suffer though. My answer to your questions would be:
1. housework - willing partner, low standards, cleaner, never do any home improvements
2. me time - what's that? Could possibly do more in the evenings but too tired really
3. time with kids - all weekend (they are 18 months and 3.5)
4. time with dh - evenings, plus go out about twice a month.
The thing I really struggle with is getting to the shops to buy clothes for myself or anything for the house. We do the supermarket shop on Sat am but can't face other shops at the weekend. I do lots of catalogue shopping for ds's clothese and my clothes, but its really hard to get to the shops for anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now