Talk

Advanced search

Would you still apply for a job if you don't have the exact qualification or experience ?

(17 Posts)
holdingittogether Wed 04-Nov-09 11:10:25

Saw a job in the paper last week I really liked the look of and sent off for job description and application form which arrived this morning. It is a teaching assistant job in reception class so still in the early years stage. The job description states you need to have NVQ 2 teaching assistant qualification plus experience of working in a classroom or pre school. Now I have NVQ 3 in childcare learning and education or will do when my assessor pulls her finger out and finishes submitting it. I have been a childminder for the past 18 mths and previous to that was very heavily involved in local preschool. I don't have any experience with special needs.

I really want to just apply anyway, I have nothing to loose. Do you think I am being silly? Do you think they might consider someone in my position?

holdingittogether Wed 04-Nov-09 11:11:57

Sorry read that back and my NVQ 3 will be in Childcare Learning and Development.

nickelbang Wed 04-Nov-09 11:12:00

the LEA can be a bit picky with things like that, but i don't see the harm in submitting it and outlining why you think you're perfect for the job.

go for it; what's the worst that can happen?
grin

ps good luck!

heavenstobetsy Wed 04-Nov-09 11:24:43

go for it! You just need to sell yourself and tie your experience to what they are looking for.

My DP got a job as a TA in a special needs school in July with absolutely no experience - he was a print engineer going for a career change! What we did though was take the job description and tie it back to skills he had learnt in his profession

good luck!

holdingittogether Wed 04-Nov-09 11:28:08

Thank you. I think I will go for it. The very worst that could happen is they dismiss my application.

MrsJamin Wed 04-Nov-09 11:34:05

Just make the most of what you have done, what skills you have learnt, and how you could apply these to the post. If you don't get this one, could you get some more experience just helping out in a school so you could put this next time? Good luck for this post

nymphadora Wed 04-Nov-09 12:34:05

my LEA isnt that fussy about qualifications that childcare & learning wouldn't match up to TA and the fact its level 3 rather than 2 should be a good point.

The SN section may depend on whether its a 1:1 post and needing experience is ASD for example or whether it will be working in a classroom supporting lower end children. I come from a background of SN school and there was loads of people starting there with no experience but the right attitude and they would learn fast!

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 12:45:40

No. Because if it is an essential qualification they are legally obliged to only consider people with that qualification, a like-for-like qualification or higher.

If it says "desirable" or "preferred" then you should consider applying but I'd do a bit more work first...

There will be competition for this job, so I would suggest ringing the person advertising the job for a 5 minute chat to ask if your qualification is appropriate - don't forget to arrange a time convient for them to do this. Otherwise your application could go straight in the bin.

When doing recruitment employers have to evidence they have been fair, and local authorities tend to be quite good at doing things by the book and will probably have drawn up a matrix with essential and desirable skills/experience along the top, candidates names down the side.

You then give each candidate a tick in the box if they have that experience/skill. No tick in an essential box, no interview. It is very black and white.

HTH

StephHaydock Wed 04-Nov-09 12:49:34

I'd apply for it and see what happens. It really depends on who else applies for it and what their experience/qualifications are. T/A jobs are usually popular because of term-time only for mums etc, so competition usually fierce, but you are qualified and may well be able to make a strong case that you have the relevant experience through your childminding and voluntary work at a pre-school.

Smalline Wed 04-Nov-09 12:51:56

I would go for it, what have you got to lose?

LIZS Wed 04-Nov-09 12:58:53

I'd apply anyway and highlight in the covering note what elements of that NVQ and your experience are similar tot hose requested.

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 13:01:10

You may find this thread from yesterday interesting reading.

nymphadora Wed 04-Nov-09 13:06:42

Surely that qualification would be equivilant or higher?

hatwoman Wed 04-Nov-09 13:12:07

the thing that always inspires me to go for things in such a situation is that I once read that men are far more likely to go for something that on paper they are underqualified for. I can't remember the exact figures but the article said something like a woman will apply if she has about a 70 per cent skills/qualification match, whereas a bloke will go for it if he only has 50 per cent. so it's your duty as a woman to put your head above the parapet along with the pushy men grin(I expect not many men apply for TA jobs but it's he principle!)

holdingittogether Wed 04-Nov-09 13:41:20

I do understand I run the risk of my application going straight in the bin. The act of sitting down and filling it in will be a valuable one as it will give me a bit of practice. Might as well post it off, got nothing to loose. I certainly won't feel huffy if I don't hear back from them. If you had all said I was being stupid I might not bother but I think it is worth a shot.

go it for, your be great im sure

gallery Fri 06-Nov-09 21:41:48

not read all the thread comments but think you should try. I saw the note about men applying and agree. We are too quick to self assess and run ourselves down. Saying that, i would not apply for a GP job if I was not a Dr! But yes, stretch yourself and good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now