Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - so confused.

(9 Posts)
ChocOrange05 Tue 03-Nov-09 15:05:12

Do a job you liked for 4 days a week.
Do a job you didn't like as much 3 days a week.

The trade off is spending the days off with DS (12mo)?

I am so torn.....

harimosmummy Tue 03-Nov-09 15:08:55

Personally, I'd take the job for 4 days and spend 3 days happily with DS.

What's the point of working one day less, but being less happy all of the time?

ChocOrange05 Tue 03-Nov-09 16:42:02

I would probably still enjoy the 3 day a week job (same company, same team just different role) but it wouldn't be as enjoyable or as satisfying but the upside is I could switch off after I left the office.

I am not sure if I would be happier:

- working 4 days at a job I enjoy but only spending 3 days with DS (possibly resenting work while I am there)
- working 3 days and possibly not enjoying those days but having 4 whole days with DS.

The other factor is I work in London and live in Surrey so on the days I work I don't really see DS (maybe 30 mins in the morning and sayign goodnight some evenings)

I am tearing my hair out over this decision and I cannot concentrate on anything else. sad

harimosmummy Tue 03-Nov-09 16:57:42

Oh dear.. sounds complicated!!

I think, given what you've said, YOU would be happier working 3 days per week.

But, I think you should look at both positions independently (i.e. look at whether you would want to do this particular job if the other one wasn't on the table)
Does that make sense?

Snooch Tue 03-Nov-09 17:02:12

I would SO take the 3 day a week job - not only because I could spend more time with DS, but also because it sounds like it will be less stressful - I like being able to switch off after work and that to me is really important. It really is about priorities - I've always placed more importance on my home life than total job satisfaction and will always act accordingly. Looks like both are equally important to you though so there's no escaping the downside with either decision for you.

morleylass Tue 03-Nov-09 18:33:39

Personally given your little one is so young I would go for the 3 day a week job as long as you are happy in the job - the balance will be in your favour then, more time with your ds than you spend at work. I worked 4 days pw when my first child was little and I found it too much tbh - I spent my day off rushing around catching up and then just had the weekend - and I only lived 10 minutes drive from work.
Good luck,
ML x

ChocOrange05 Wed 04-Nov-09 09:41:35

Thanks for your replies - I don't know if the 3 day team has a position for me yet (my boss is asking) but when I find out, and if they do, I have a tough decision to make. I may be back for more advice!

Vintagepommery Wed 04-Nov-09 10:45:31

I know when I went back to work after having my first child I decided that 3 days a week was the max I would do and I was relieved they agreed to that.

But i can't tell you what to do..

ChocOrange05 Wed 04-Nov-09 11:54:06

Yes you can vintage - tell me, tell me, and then I can absolve myself of all blame!! wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now