Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about lunch breaks and pay/hours

(7 Posts)
MrsMorgan Wed 28-Oct-09 18:11:24

I might be offered a job next week, just have to do a trial shift first.

Anyway, the job is contracted as 24 hours a week and will normally be worked as three 8 hour shifts.

Lunch breaks are normally unpaid aren't they ? So what I was wondering is that if I am supposed to work 8-4 for example and got say half hour for lunch, how does this work out with pay because then I'd only be getting paid for 22 1/2 hours a week wouldn't I ??

Or is it that I'd have to finnish half hour later ??

I am really confused.

tethersend Wed 28-Oct-09 18:17:44

I believe you are entitled to a 15-min paid break for every 4 hours you work; hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute to confirm this.

It sounds like your paid lunch break is counted in your contracted hours.

MrsMorgan Wed 28-Oct-09 18:21:36

Ahh right ok, that would make sense.

I should have asked but the place was heaving and the person interviewing me was in a bit of a rush.

schroeder Wed 28-Oct-09 18:23:17

You'll probably be expected to work an 8and1/2 hour day with half hour unpaid lunch.

Make sure you know what exact pattern your hours are supposed to be before ya sign anything; a friend of mine applied interviewed for and got a job 4 mornings a week only to find on her first day that no her hours were now 1 full day and 2 afternoons!

MrsMorgan Wed 28-Oct-09 18:26:03

Hmm right, will need to check it out next week then.

tethersend Wed 28-Oct-09 18:41:30

Actually, just checked and the entitlement is to an unpaid break of 20 mins if a shift is 6 hours or longer- see here

I was being generous, sorry. Check with your employer, as some employers do pay for breaks.

This is why I shouldnt run the country grin

MrsMorgan Wed 28-Oct-09 22:16:29

Lol, thank's Tether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now