Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where do I stand if I want to go back on different terms?

(4 Posts)
mcflumpy Tue 27-Oct-09 20:05:38

Haven't approached this with my emplpyer yet, but prior to mat leave was in management role working full time. Ideally I'd like to go back 4 days a week. Does anyone know if they could demote me based on this change of conditions? I know they are struggling at bit at the moment due to recession and may look for a get out to maintaining my salary at same level. That said they are a large company and I know there are others in other offices in same post on 4 days a week.

TIA

Oblomov Tue 27-Oct-09 21:35:13

Depends how you get on with your manager. if you get on well, you could phone for a chat to see if they are open to the idea.
But don't take anything THEY SAY AS GOSPEL.
Acas do a very good pamplet on what to do:acas
But the thrux of it is you write a letter asking to change under flexible working request.
You must follow their guidelines to the T. Very very important to include every sentence they tell you to, in your letter.
Give your employer plenty of time to respond - many many weeks, the whole thing takes.

flowerybeanbag Wed 28-Oct-09 09:36:17

It's not really a case of demoting you as such. You'd need to put a case to them as to why you'd be able to do your existing job in 4 days a week, and if they felt it wasn't possible, they'd have to give decent business reasons why not.

If there was a lower position available that either was already 4 days or could be done in 4 days, and they offered it to you, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as they've properly considered reducing the hours of your existing job and provided proper business reasons if they can't.

If they are looking to save money, then that could be a key part of your case to reduce to 4 days, they'd save 20% of a salary which presumably would be attractive to them?

Have a look at working families factsheet on flexible working, v helpful in terms of explaining the procedure and also helpful tips in putting together a case to make it easier for your employer to agree/ more difficult for them to refuse.

mcflumpy Wed 28-Oct-09 20:13:36

Very helpful suggestions thank you. I had considered that reduced hours = a saving for them, I just suspect they may try and make further savings by offering a lesser post. Surmising at the moment and I could be totally wrong of course! I'll check out the info provided thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now