Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Going back to work in Jan - so confused as to what I'm entitled to re vouchers/tax credits etc

(9 Posts)
Bambinoloveseggbirds Sun 25-Oct-09 08:51:36

Hi. I start work again in Jan (full time)after a years mat leave. At the same time DH is being made redundant. Despite this, we still plan to put DS in nursery for 2 half days per week to get him used to a nursery environment should we need to up the days drastically if DH gets another job quickly. DH will receive a good redundancy payout which will all go towards the mortgage. We are going to pay the 2 half days nursery out of savings.

Everyone keeps telling me about childcare vouchers but I am confused by the whole thing - not helped by my brain being mush since DS. It would be really helpful if any MNetters could give me a steer. Would I be entitled to childcare vouchers through my employer (central government) or as DH will be off work and effectively able to cover the childcare, might we not be entitled to anything? If we are entitled to vouchers, does that mean we won't get tax credit. I have tried to google this I really need an idiot's guide.

Much obliged smile

Danthe4th Sun 25-Oct-09 09:08:01

The childcare vouchers are a salary sacrifice scheme you can have up to £243 per month before tax it is part of your salary not an extra and you use these to pay for nursery. If you have those you don't normally get as many tax credits, but if your dh is not working and you are doing either 16 or 30 hours a week you will probably get some. There is a tax calculator on the HMRC website.
I except accor vouchers, and busybees which has changed to something else have a look on their website it probably explains more. Give your HR department a ring to ask which voucher scheme they are registered with.

Danthe4th Sun 25-Oct-09 09:09:31

Bambinoloveseggbirds Sun 25-Oct-09 09:25:02

I see, so if childcare costs £150 per month, I can ask for that to be given to me in vouchers before they tax my monthly wage? I will read through the info and speak to HR tomorrow. Thank you ever so much Danthe4th.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 25-Oct-09 16:03:28

You wont qualify for help with childcare costs from tax credits as your DH is not working.

Not all employers run the scheme so you need to find out if yours do and the provider will have details on their website re voucher use etc.

WorkingMummyyy Sun 25-Oct-09 17:44:25

You might also want to sign the petition at - the Government is planning to scrap childcare vouchers so the more people who sign this petition the better! Between us all we can make the Government think twice about penalising working parents!

You'll be able to claim childcare vouchers even if DH is off work - it doesn't make any difference to your voucher entitlement.

Bambinoloveseggbirds Sun 25-Oct-09 19:46:56

WorkingMummyyy, I will definitely be signing that. Thanks for the info. smile

SCARYspicemonster Sun 25-Oct-09 19:50:52

Have a look at - I can never work out what's what - all very confusing!

Bambinoloveseggbirds Sun 25-Oct-09 21:02:52

I should coco. Thanks Scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now