In a bit of a dilemma of what to do. Have got till mid March on ML, and although would like to go back PT have been given a heads up by someone there that they are unlikely to grant it. Hearing this made me panic and I applied for a couple of jobs. Have an interview for one next week. It's public sector, if I start middle of the payscale would be on the same money as I was, or more if they start me higher on the scale, there are also better benefits (pension, car allowance, etc). It is a similar field to what I was doing, but moving away from my main training. It would be guaranteed to be PT however as I applied as a job share. If I got it, I guess I would be able to start at beginning of Jan, but would mean going back when DS was 6 months, instead of 9 months as planned. This is the bit that I am really confused about - go back early and def have PT job or risk having to go back FT if work do not agree to me being PT. What would you do?
flabbyapronbelly It's obviously a totally personal decision but if I were you I'd go for the interview (which hopefully you have by now!) and as above, see how you feel about it. If it feels like something you'd be interested in, I'd go for the part time option. Might be worth though first checking with your current department whether part time is really out of the question before accepting though. good luck and let us know what you do..