Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you reply to interview question: where do you see yourself in five yrs time?

(24 Posts)
bigchris Mon 19-Oct-09 22:02:21

Was thinking something along the lines of 'with enough experience to be valued as a good member of your team' or is that too blah blah

MrsMuddle Mon 19-Oct-09 22:09:25

Don't know, but I have an interview this week, so I'll join you in hoping that someone knowledgable comes along to answer the question.

mamakoukla Mon 19-Oct-09 22:10:03

hmmm... depends on the job, but I would certainly flesh it out with more detail and specifics. How do you plan to grow in the job? What future career do you have in mind and how will this position lead into that? Build on current strengths, indicating how they will help achieve your future goals. HTH!

mamakoukla Mon 19-Oct-09 22:10:48

I'm being interviewed shortly, so looking to see other suggestions too grin

snice Mon 19-Oct-09 22:10:55

"Doing your job"

bigchris Mon 19-Oct-09 22:14:45

its tricky because i really want this job
i dont want to say 'well i'd love to progress up tge career ladder' because a) it's not true and b) i worry that sounds like i'd disappear if a better job comes up which is definitely not what i want

good luck to everyone else having interviews this week

i would be so happy if i get it but i know there will be loads applying in the current climate

dollyparting Tue 20-Oct-09 09:37:58

"I'd like to see my self as a really experienced and valued member of the team"

"I'd also like to be able to look back at the six years in post and to see how I'd used my skills in X and Y to improve the quality of patient care / educational attainment of children / efficiency of the department / whatever is appropriate"

FritesMenthe Tue 20-Oct-09 09:42:18

Don't do what an Australian guy I interviewed recently said, bearing in mind that we would be investing a lot of time and cash training the postholder: "Back in Oz" shock. Shame, because he was in the running, but I wasn't prepared to take the risk that he would depart sooner rather than later.

If you must say "doing your job" follow it up with something sensible. Ambition is good, a sense of humour is good, a threat is not!

elliepac Tue 20-Oct-09 09:44:46

WHen I had this question in an interview for Head of Department in a school I responded by saying something along the lines of,

"Hopefully, I see myself as being a really good Head of Department with good exam results and a successful and happy team. I would like to think I will have consolidated my existing skills and be looking how to further my career."

I got the job grin...pretty useless advice if i hadn't wink.

In general, I suggest you answer along the lines of having made a success of the position you are being interviewed for and also show some ambition to build upon existing skills for the future.

HTH

stealthsquiggle Tue 20-Oct-09 09:48:39

I tend to go for something along the lines of

"I have decided that there is no point having 5 year plans as life tends to change too fast and we have to adapt, but whatever I am doing I see the common thread of <<insert key skills/attributes they are looking for>> continuing, and I would like to think I would be continuing to deliver significant value for <<insert name of organisation>>"

bigchris Tue 20-Oct-09 11:39:55

wow that's fab guys, thanks so much
gawd i hate interviews....

fridayschild Tue 20-Oct-09 14:02:33

Agree with Elliepac's general comments.

I would assume they want you still there in 5 years' time, so describe what the successful candidate would be doing in 5 years, whether that's doing the same thing much better, as Elliepac has described, or promoted/ on track for promotion if that's what's relevant.

I work in the law - I advise newly qualified solicitors to describe someone qualified for 5 years whom they know and respect.

MrsMuddle Tue 20-Oct-09 18:41:31

Thanks from me too. All great advice.... which will go out my head the moment I'm aksed the question probably!

bigchris Wed 21-Oct-09 16:15:59

am getting nervous, interview is tomorrow!

MrsMuddle Wed 21-Oct-09 18:00:46

Mine was today. It went OK, but now I'm thinking of more that I could have said. Didn't get asked the "5 years time" question, but got asked to describe all my good qualities! Good luck.

bigchris Wed 21-Oct-09 19:58:23

jeeesus, all my good qualities will fill a postage stamp unless they count mumsnet and drinking wine wink

what else did they ask?

are you expecting to hear tonight?

elliepac Wed 21-Oct-09 20:01:31

Good Luck for tomorrow bigchris, come back and tell us how you got on smile

MrsMuddle Thu 22-Oct-09 01:10:02

Got asked how I would fit in with a team, and got asked really specific questions - ie, describe a time when you came up with a creative solution to a problem at work. hmm

Interviewing all week, so won't hear till early next week. It's almost worth doing interviews just for the feeling of relief you get when it's over!

Good luck.

bigchris Thu 22-Oct-09 13:38:13

well they didnt ask the give yrs question, lol
they are interviewing all day so wont find out for a while
i thought it went well but who knows?!

HalloweenIsSofaKingScary Thu 22-Oct-09 19:57:24

Snice that's my answer to

"Why do you want this job?"

"Actually I don't want this job, I want your job, I just have to do this one first"

grin

bigchris Fri 23-Oct-09 17:27:25

didnt get it
absolutely gutted
not sure how to make myself feel better
feel stuck in a rut with no end in sight
sorry to be moany

mamakoukla Fri 23-Oct-09 17:36:21

Bigchris, just remembered that you landed an interview. That is something in itself, although no consolation since you were after the job. But at least it says that your CV/application are good and get you noticed. Sorry to hear the news but I'll keep my fingers crossed that something better will come your way.

bigchris Fri 23-Oct-09 17:38:54

thanks

MrsMuddle Fri 23-Oct-09 18:47:42

I didn't get mine either. sad

We can be gutted together. Hope we didn't go for the same job...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now