Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Teacher training! So want to do it but need my GCSE science and maths! Some advice please?

(5 Posts)
bambinox2 Mon 19-Oct-09 14:41:18

Ok writing this a little upset as just got off the phone to some really horrible lady talking a load of gibberish about examination bodies and dates of june to me when all i asked was if i could retake my GCSE Maths at my local college. She practically hung up on me!

Any way I have got into my head that I need to do something with my life and I don't always want to sit behind a till so been looking into teacher training. My sister and mother in law both do it and seem to enjoy.
Only thing is is that I don't have GCSE Maths or Science so need to retake these.

Any tips on how to do this with out having to solve the cryptic code of college admin! x

Washersaurus Mon 19-Oct-09 14:46:56

It sounds like the lady on the phone was talking to you about examination dates rather than the actual course.

AFAIK a lot of colleges no longer allow external candidates (i.e. those not taking the whole course with them) to sit exams.

You need to speak to someone in the actual department concerned - usually 6th Form or General Education department. They may offer a January 2010 start.

You can also enquire with the university to sit equivalency tests for the GCSE's you are missing, but you would probably need tuition to prepare you for these.

(I used to work in FE college and Uni)

bambinox2 Mon 19-Oct-09 14:53:12

Sorry I hope i didn't offend was writing with tears in my eyes.
Got a little excited that I actually wanted to do something important for myself and got kicked back down.
Oh well pick myself back up for the school run.

Washersaurus Mon 19-Oct-09 20:45:52

I hope you have perked up again.

I had similar experiences when enquiring about courses when I was looking to do teacher training - I am now hoping to do it via the GTP route.

Why not pop into your local college and ask for an adult careers interview - they offer them for free and they will point you in the right direction for course information and should offer to do university searches for you too, to help you find the course you eventually wish to pursue.

Also, if you contact the university you wish to study the PGCE with and ask about the equivalency tests they will provide you with more details and may even send you example examination papers to look at.

Are you thinking of primary teaching?

bambinox2 Tue 20-Oct-09 13:17:49

yeah primary teaching is where i want toi teach.
Thank you for all your advice. my step mum is a careers advisor so going to chat to her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: