Talk

Advanced search

Should I put a personal statement on my cv?

(4 Posts)
andgodcreatedwoman Wed 14-Oct-09 11:58:19

Help?!

I'm just re doing my cv and a lot of the sites online suggest including a personal statement.

Should I?

And if I do, what the hell can I put?

Would I use that space to explain why I've not worked for the last two years or should I leave that til any interviews I might get?

dollyparting Wed 14-Oct-09 13:40:58

The personal statement should be something that catches the attention of the recruiter. Imagine they are looking through 100 applications - they want something that makes it easy to select you.

So your personal statement needs to be different for every job that you apply for. It should be bullet points that state how you meet the 3 key criteria of the job.

Do not put anything about your last 2 years in this section.

Some people hate personal statements, some people love them. The sites you have looked at are probably those who are dealing with many, many applications and matching them to a variety of jobs. If you are applying to a small local shop - I wouldn't bother.

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 14:00:57

normally I do a four-line 'Profile' précis at the top of my CV eg
I am a skilled [profession] with [qualifications] in [field] with particular experience in [speciality] and a proven track record of [specific area] experience. I am [good point] [good point] and [good point].

ANything longer or more specific goes in the covering letter.

andgodcreatedwoman Thu 15-Oct-09 06:31:37

Thank you both.

I will leave it out for this one then and re jig it next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now