Talk

Advanced search

We're skint- increase my hours or stay at home?

(6 Posts)
TheRedSalamander Wed 14-Oct-09 10:25:20

Things are so tight money wise and I have the opportunity to work some extra hours at work. It would really mean a big difference to family finances just doing this little bit extra (5 more hours a week, currently 27)

Here?s my dilemma-

Ds1 has just started school. I drop him off every morning and on 3 days a week I am able to pick him up too (lovely SiL does the other 2 days). I?d still be able to do this if I worked the extra hours.

Ds2 is 15 months, he currently goes to nursery 2 ½ days and my mum looks after him another day. If I worked the extra hours I?d have to put him in nursery for another half day. It?s this bit that I am stumbling over. When ds1 was little I had more time 1 on 1 with him, there?s so little now and my Fridays off are the only opportunity I get in the whole week to give ds2 any of my undivided attention.

DS2 is very happy and settled at nursery, he?s bonded brilliantly with his key worker and I am very happy with the care they give him. But he?s only little and the reason I work part time in the first place is so that I can a) spend time exclusively with him and b) to be there for his big bro out of school hours. But the opportunity of additional hours might not be there again and we are so skint I don?t know what to do for the best. DH already working full time but is self employed and his current contract is due to expire soon without much more on the horizon until after xmas.

Can someone ask the right questions of me please to help me sort this out in my head!

MyCatsAScarierBastardThanYours Wed 14-Oct-09 20:20:24

I'm not sure that I can ask the right questions, but I think, for the sake of one afternoon extra it wont hurt your DS2 (particularly if he's happy) but will make a massive difference to the family in terms of money and being able to manage. I would do it, particularly given your DH's work issues.

HTH

jobhuntersrus Wed 14-Oct-09 20:25:03

Do you have the option to cut your hours back again if you want to or would it be a permanent change?

nellie12 Wed 14-Oct-09 20:31:04

financially would you earn extra after you have paid the childcare fees and tax?

Does it affect any tax credits? If so would you still take home more?

Do you have to work the extra hours on a separate day or can they be tagged onto days you are already in work?

Would you be able to have a 3 month review to say whether the hours are working for you or if you want to go back to old arrangement?
Can you tell I've been there? wink

TheRedSalamander Sat 17-Oct-09 23:50:13

Oh Nellie it's not any fun is it

What did you end up doing?

I would end up taking more home, and we don't get tax credits so nothing to worry about there. I could potentially do the hours from home in the evening and would only agree to do it if it was something that was temporary- even if it continued for a year.

I've talked to my boss about it- he's a nice guy and I hope know he won't manipulate the situation. Fingers crossed he will say yep evenings are fine.

Bloody hell though I'll be even more knackered (how?) - fingers crossed ds2 learns how to sleep without my boobies soon ;)

nellie12 Sun 18-Oct-09 12:04:21

It was a choice between go full time and come out with a bit more each month but have the not inconsiderable problems of childcare between 2 in infants and ds3 who is 11mo. (dh and Iwork shifts no set days')

Or, work 2 nights a weeks be semi permanently knackered but no problems with childcare and manage financially.

For us working nights seems better as the kids aren't unsettled by the childcare and still think I'm there for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now