Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed - how do you tell your boss you got pregnant on maternity leave?

(19 Posts)
shoutymcshoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 18:19:36

Boss called today. I didn't pick up the phone when I saw his number. I just can't work out how to tell him that I'm pregnant again and that his budget will be blown again!

Carikube Tue 06-Oct-09 18:23:50

I don't know the answer but I'm going to lurk here to see if I can pick up any tips (I'll be 34 wks pg when I'm due to return from my current ML)

shoutymcshoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 18:26:41

Wowza Carikube - what will the age gap be?

SingingBear Tue 06-Oct-09 18:30:44

Message withdrawn

Carikube Tue 06-Oct-09 18:32:19

Less than 14 months blush so think I'll be running straight in to ML#2 rather than going back in at all (only 8 wks pg at the mo so nowhere near telling my boss or anything...)

shoutymcshoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 19:16:04

Crumbs. Congratulations though. I am going back otherwise I have to repay my maternity pay, but will only be there for 4 months in total.

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 06-Oct-09 19:19:38

You say "hi boss, I'm pg again" grin.

Happened to me, I was 5 months pg when I returned - got some strange looks when I went to meetings. Think my colleagues thought I was struggling to lose the baby weight grinblush.

There's no point being embarrassed or apologetic about it - it happens, they have to deal with it, baby's not going anywhere!

Congrats btw smile.

BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 06-Oct-09 19:21:29

I like spongebrains idea.

Congratulations BTW

Podrick Tue 06-Oct-09 19:21:34

Most people have 2 kids fairly close together so I doubt he will be unduly suprised tbh

Northernlurker Tue 06-Oct-09 19:24:40

HIs budget is not your concern. That's his job. When you're ready you just say 'I'm pregnant due in x' He should have the decency not to gnaw the carpet till you've gone. Women get pregnant - it's lovely news. Women on maternity leave also get pregnant - their employment status is not a contraceptive - it's also lovely news. Your employer just has to suck it up and deal with it. You shouldn't worry at all.

shoutymcshoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 19:26:32

Thanks Spongebrain. I tried to resign earlier in the year and boss gave me 3 months' unpaid leave instead, on the basis that I might change my mind and come back. I just feel a bit guilty I suppose. Oh and this is baby no.3.....

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 06-Oct-09 19:33:58

Don't feel guilty - you're entitled to have a family. That's life. I know it's hard on employers but there's nothing anyone can do about it - give them as much warning as possible so they can plan, and enjoy your pg guilt-free! smile

Podrick Tue 06-Oct-09 20:10:32

Is he the father?

shoutymcshoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 20:18:09

Podrick, you have a very dodgy sense of humour. Amusing....but dodgy

Podrick Wed 07-Oct-09 06:40:04

I don't know your boss!
I guess that might make a difference to how dodgy vs amusing that comment was!
And congratulations btw

shoutymcshoutsmum Wed 07-Oct-09 17:20:59

Boss called again. I came straight out with it. He laughed his head off and thanked me for being honest.

Northernlurker Wed 07-Oct-09 18:58:54

That sounds like a good result then. smile

StealthPolarBear Wed 07-Oct-09 19:05:34

spongebrainmaternitypants Wed 07-Oct-09 19:24:30

Lol, that was my boss' reaction too grin!

Enjoy your pg smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now