Talk

Advanced search

Help writing a cover email thingy

(6 Posts)
hollyhobbie Tue 06-Oct-09 09:35:34

We are now living back near the town that I studied in and I thought I might approach the course leader from my old (design-based) university course and see if I could (a) come in to show the students my portfolio with the view to (b) maybe doing some part-time lecturing, portfolio workshops that kind of thing...

I'm just not sure how to word it all, it will be an email out of the blue for her (all the teaching staff have changed since I graduated, so I can't more casually get in touch with someone I've met before).

I have 2 kids, and getting into to academia (but still using my creative skills) would be a brilliant solution to the work-childcare balance, but I'm not sure I should mention this to her.

Anyway, anyone have suggestions as to how to word this?

hollyhobbie Tue 06-Oct-09 12:11:25

Ok, this is what I've written so far:

---------------
Dear _____,
I'm a ______ graphic design BA graduate (1999) and have recently returned to _________ after 6 years of working and living abroad.

I wonder if you would consider allowing me to come in and show the current students my portfolio? I remember ex-students doing this when I was on the course, and it was always interesting to see the many directions that a graphic design degree could take you. It will also be great practice for me to get used to showing my portfolio again, I've had a few years out while my kids are small and I'm starting now to think about next steps.

I would therefore also be interested to talk to you about whether there may be any opportunities for me to come and assist on the degree course? Perhaps during crit sessions or doing a portfolio review for the 3rd years? I would be very happy to hear your thoughts on this.

I attach my CV for your information and would be happy to also send you PDFs of my work, or to come in and show you my portfolio in person.

With kind regards,
Holliehobbie

...what do you think? Too pushy about the job opportunities? Should I mention the DCs or not?

hanaflower Tue 06-Oct-09 12:17:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hollyhobbie Tue 06-Oct-09 12:50:40

thanks!

sazzerbear Thu 08-Oct-09 21:33:47

If she knows you, I would call her first to make friendly intro/brief overview then email rest from there? If I was her I would prefer that, emails also get lost or not read properly. Never too pushy although don't say "I wonder if", be more "I would like to". Def don't mention dcs! Good luck!

Snowtiger Thu 08-Oct-09 21:37:02

I'd definitely phone first then email, and as sazzer says, be more positive, offering something that they need rather than asking if you may do something, as it were.
If you can think first about what you can offer the students and couch your offer in terms of meeting their needs, you're more likely to get taken up on your offer. Marketing is all about knowing what your audience's problems are and how what you have to offer solves them - so your experience and your passion are your biggest assets. Make that clear and you'll be well away.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now