Talk

Advanced search

I've got my interview at 3pm and i don't feel very well prepared....

(9 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Wed 30-Sep-09 09:09:59

Is it just because its a new company and I spent the last 11 years in one company. I knew there interview process inside out so interviews were 'easier'?

Any example questions would really help.

LIZS Wed 30-Sep-09 09:14:46

Most interview are now competency based and follow a prescribed format. Look through the job description and spec then think of examples of you using the skills they are looking for.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 30-Sep-09 11:03:49

I'm used to competency ones, but when i asked when they called if thats what it would be she said no just q&a?!?!?!

flowerybeanbag Wed 30-Sep-09 11:16:00

Questions will be designed to see whether you meet the person spec, and fulfil the essential/desirably criteria they have.

So look at that, and prepare in your head examples of when you have successfully demonstrated in the past that you have x skill/y experience/z quality.

Sounds as though the person you spoke to doesn't really understand what competency-based questions are, so I'd ignore that. They want to find out whether you meet their criteria so just make sure you can demonstrate that and you should be able to answer any decent question.

In case they ask stupid questions like 'what is your main weakness?' hmm[eyes rolling emoticon], have something prepared for that. Choose an aspect of your work or a skill that you were actually perfectly good at but wanted to further develop to improve yourself. Then explain what steps you took to do that and what improvement was made to your work performance as a result.

That way you are not actually identifying a weakness as such, just an area for development that has already been addressed so isn't an issue for them, and you are demonstrating self-awareness, initiative and a commitment to personal development. Ta da! Don't say 'I'm a perfectionist' either. [eyes rolling again emoticon].

flowerybeanbag Wed 30-Sep-09 11:18:59

Oh, and even if they don't ask you for examples, and instead ask hypothetical questions, what would you do in x,y,z scenario, still answer using examples of how you've done x,y,z in the past.

Even if you and another candidate both give the 'right' answer to those questions, if the other candidate manages to say that they would do x,y,z in those situation, but you have given actual evidence that you have already done that before and would therefore do it again, you're a better candidate and a more attractive prospect as a result.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 30-Sep-09 11:32:53

Cheers flowery will have another look now and get my brain prepared!

sundew Wed 30-Sep-09 11:36:05

lovebeingamummy - we always ask people to describe their work experience to date - so make sure you pick out all the bits that are relevant to the current post you are applying for. Make sure you read the job desription so you know what exactly they are looking for.

Also, make sure you ask questions about the position - ie if it is on a short term contract ask for the likelihood of it being renewed, if it is psrt0time ask what days - and show you have researched childcare. Things to show you really want that job (not just any job).

We interviewed last week and 2 of the applicants clearly just wanted any part-time job - and would obviously leave at the earliest opportunity if a better paid job came along.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 30-Sep-09 12:32:16

Thanks sundrew. Luckily the sort of role I'm going for doesn't tend to ahve pt jobs, one of the reasons i am going for a lower role.

Have been trying to think of intelligent questions that don't revolve around the perks of this company grin

puddinghead Fri 09-Oct-09 20:33:03

I've found this thread useful as I have an interview soon. Flowery, are you intimating that it's not the done thing anymore to ask 'what are your strengths and weaknesses'?
I've got a perso spec and been going through it and will try and get examples for everything.
I'm just hoping they don't ask 'why did you leave teaching after only 3 yrs?'. (The job I'm going for is a support teacher). But I'll think of something in case this crops up.

Also, what if the questions I've got up my sleeve get covered during the course of the interview?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now