Talk

Advanced search

Why very little part time work?

(12 Posts)
cluckyagain Tue 29-Sep-09 15:45:24

OK - so I understand about additional costs etc if employing a job share etc, but seriously, WHY do employers not aim more at the returning to work market from SAHMs? We are personable, competent, highly qualified and personally, willing to go back for less money that we would have previously been paid! I know we are out out of practice but we would get back up to speed super quick. There - rant over.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 29-Sep-09 15:55:08

bacause they are all bastards.
there is no incentive, get thee to this thread and maybe it'll make some sense

Cluckyagain Wed 30-Sep-09 08:00:39

......I would still go for a PT job if I could find one though. Royally naffed off!

differentID Wed 30-Sep-09 08:03:04

because a lot of part time workers are not willing to work outside of school hours. Businesses need people to work outside of school hours but childcare costs and availability are a pain in the arse for many people.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Wed 30-Sep-09 21:32:28

they do exist, it took me 10 months to find one that paid me enough to have a tiny amount left at the end of the month but they do exist if you look very very hard.

burybran Thu 01-Oct-09 18:19:31

Because many businesses are run by unreconstructed males who don't think women should be permitted the 'luxury' of part time work and government policies do little to change this in my view.

burybran Thu 01-Oct-09 18:19:49

Because many businesses are run by unreconstructed males who don't think women should be permitted the 'luxury' of part time work and government policies do little to change this in my view.

Lonicera Thu 01-Oct-09 18:33:06

Try the public sector, they have to be pc

Julesnobrain Fri 02-Oct-09 20:32:50

I had to go back FT NO chance of PT. i would like the government to set quotas for PT work for large cos in the same way they set disability ratios. I work in a male dominated arena and have seen countless friends hounded out of jobs when they fall pregnant and then forced on return to work ridiculous hours to prove ' they still have it'. Glass ceiling more like a concrete one Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bluebump Fri 02-Oct-09 20:39:05

I managed to go back to my employers PT rather than FT (public sector) as I can jobshare with another person due back off maternity leave too, HOWEVER, I wanted to do 2 days and she wanted to do 3 and they said NO. We both have to work every day, one doing mornings and one doing afternoons. It is costing me £40+ a week more in nursery because I now have to pay session rate rather than day rate but they said it wasn't their problem pretty much angry I think we worked out that I have less than £100 left at the end of the month which I guess is better than nothing but it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

cat64 Fri 02-Oct-09 20:49:21

Message withdrawn

Cluckyagain Sat 03-Oct-09 07:44:22

I honestly can't see the problem though of working school hours (although not the holidays....I;m not quite that daft!) If your job is one that can be done on a part time basis, I don't see that working from 9.30 to 2.30 is such an inconvenience for an employer. My 'job' could easily be done within those hours only, but still, not a one....flipping heck it's annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now