Talk

Advanced search

Hi Ho! It's off to work I go...but what do I take with me? What prep should I do?

(7 Posts)
RubysReturn Tue 29-Sep-09 10:47:34

Well, back to work after many, many years! Very exciting, but am feeling very out of practice - more used to packing a bookbag and baby bag with spare pants and wipes than getting a handbag ready with necessaries.

I have

phone
diary
lipstick!
tissues
cash for lunch

Is there anything else I need to look super organised and competant?

Any tips welcome?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 10:56:17

nice pen because they will only give you cheap biros
hand cream
comb
passport photos if you have any lying around in case you need them for id badges etc
all relevant paperwork (they usually want to photocopy your passport)

MrRogerMashitter Tue 29-Sep-09 10:58:29

Eye drops if you wear lenses - stuffy office air may take some getting used to! Oh, and a decent notepad/folder in case it takes a while to find the stationery cupboard.

flowerybeanbag Tue 29-Sep-09 10:59:48

Your P45 and bank details etc if you haven't given them that already, minimise chance of delay with first salary payment!

Notebook to write down everything, all the information you will have thrown at you the first few days.

RubysReturn Tue 29-Sep-09 11:15:13

OH THANKYOU
Will take specs as tend to get fed up with lenses!
Have done ID and admin bit with CRB
Have bought posh notebook (nerdy emo)

Have bought pack propelling pencils - will locate (prob at bottom of toy box stolen by dds!). I don't often use a pen!

gallery Thu 01-Oct-09 13:29:03

I always bring a coffee mug (a nice one that I like as it sends a message I am here to move in and not just use the visitors mug)and coffee and a teaspoon! (I rely on hot drinks in winter and never rely on people having what I want) and a plastic bottle of water that I can refill. Some snacks like fruit. I often travel to other places and changed department in big company as well as changed companies. Bring your peronsal essentials.(I keep a box of tissues on my desk and some spare makeup in my drawer as well as emergency stuff like tampax)

I don't rely on someone taking me to lunch first day in case they are busy so have something you can do at lunch hour (I usually have briefcase with book or newspaper so it is not obvious I have light weight me time reading material). Where I work, it is often difficult to get food (remote places) so am prepared to have some food with me. If you are in city/town, no issue for you.

dontrunwithscissors Thu 01-Oct-09 14:41:01

I leave a bit of cash/change in my drawer (as I have forgotten my purse on many occasions, and would otherwise go hungry.)
Paracetemol, gaviscon sachets.
Charger for my mobile phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now