Talk

Advanced search

Advice please on an application for a public sector job. Don't know how to format it.

(11 Posts)
clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:14:03

The position is one of Clerk to Governors with the education dept of County Council. I have been a school governor for 4 years, understand what the job is about, and have a good education.

I have filled in the application form, but I'm unsure how to format the pages of 'Information in support of my application'
I understand that I must address each issue mentioned in the person specification, but should I just do this in a list of paragraphs, or would a tabular format be better, listing the category items in the left column, with my explanatory narrative in the right column?

As I have only ever applied for one other public sector job before, (and didn't get shortlisted), I feel I need help Please.

sazlocks Tue 22-Sep-09 20:19:44

I work in the public sector and have recruited as well as applied for a number of jobs. I think either method you suggest would be great. Basically you need to make it as easy as possible for the people shortlisting you to see how you fit the person spec - they will just tick off the points as you raise them.
Hopefully you will get shortlisted this time but if you don't then I would be tempted to ask for feedback so you can improve future applications. If the shortlisting has been done properly then they should be able to give clear reasons why you weren't.
Good luck.

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:23:55

Thanks sazlocks.

I really would like a crack at this job, and we really could do with the money?
I'm told that my disability will help me get a public sector job (or at least the interview). Is that true?

sazlocks Tue 22-Sep-09 20:28:40

I work in the NHS and I am pretty sure that we have to interview people with a stated disability - as far as I remember from the last time - I can't remember what the scheme is called. That said it doesn't automatically lead to a job smile

bigstripeytiger Tue 22-Sep-09 20:35:34

I think that it is true that you will be interviewed, but that the decision about who gets the job is not influenced by the disability.

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:37:59

of course. I certainly don't expect to land a job 'by default'

fishie Tue 22-Sep-09 20:41:30

or you could put the ps as headings and write the narrative beneath - then you can double up headings if your experience covers more than one to avoid duplicating your answer. the columns could make it dead long.

i haven't applied for a public sector job btw, but have written grant applications which get scored so a similar process.

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:49:01

Should I include a CV as well as the form and a couple of pages of supporting information?

The application pack says a CV will only be accepted in support of an application form, but doesn't state that one is necessary.

bigstripeytiger Tue 22-Sep-09 20:51:44

I would include a CV too, if they will accept it then it shouldnt harm your case.

sazlocks Tue 22-Sep-09 20:57:13

I normally ignore CVs to be honest when I am shortlisting as long as all the relevant info is included in the application and supporting info. Having to then trawl through another unrelated doc that has just been chucked in for good measure can be very irritating when you are trying to get through loads of applications.
Personally I would focus on making sure you answer all the relevant points on the job spec in your applic and supp info.
Good luck smile

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 21:21:14

Cheers, I appreciate your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now