Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have an interview & am nervous

(5 Posts)
DoingTheBestICan Sun 20-Sep-09 12:46:58

I have been a sahm for just over 3 yrs now & ds has just started pre-school so on a whim i applied for a pt job in Boots.

Well i never expected a look in as i have no experience in shop work but they have emailed me to go for an interview next week!

Has anyone got any tips on what i should say,they have told me to dress appropriately as some of the interview will be on the shop floor.

I dont have a clue what to expect,does anyone work for Boots or used to that can advise me?

Thanks for reading.

ninedragons Sun 20-Sep-09 12:53:42

I haven't worked in retail so can't give you specific advice, but having been in exactly the same situation recently (started new job about a month ago), I'd say be confident and smile. Emphasise that you're happy and excited to be getting back to work, so they can infer that you are not going to be resentful and mopey because you'll have to leave DC in pre-school. Nobody wants a miserable bugger hanging around bumming everyone else out. I'd imagine that's especially true in roles where you're facing customers.

DoingTheBestICan Sun 20-Sep-09 13:22:57

Thanks ninedragons,& congrats yourself on getting a new job!

risingstar Sun 20-Sep-09 17:07:41

i would say look as smart as possible- if you dont have a suit, a smart skirt/trousers and immaculate blouse. Natural make up, not too over done.

If you think about what you expect in a sales person, that is what they are looking for... willing to help customers and go that extra mile to help ( i think that Boots are good at picking staff like this). This is a really good basis of the questions like "why do you want to work here?". the answer is not the hours fit- it is something like Boots is a great advert for working in retail, the staff always seem happy and positive and i think that i would fit in well.

think up some good examples of where you have overcome a problem, what you would do with a difficult customer ( don't forget that ultimately having tried your very best,you would refer on to a supevisor). also dont forget that a lot of customers are mums looking for advice/opinions, you could deal with that.

Best of luck with it all

Oh and one final tip( i have interviewed lots of people) if you really do get stuck on a question, there is no harm in saying I can't think of anything at the moment, can we come back to it? And finally, if your mind goes blank when they ask if you have any questions, ask the interviewer what they like about working there!

DoingTheBestICan Sun 20-Sep-09 20:59:09

Thanks risingstar,thats fab advice.Thankyou so much. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now