Talk

Advanced search

Gah! Writing HUGE cheques for childcare and haven't even started work yet!

(6 Posts)
AnnieLobeseder Wed 16-Sep-09 13:32:27

I go back to work on Monday so both DDs are off to full-time childcare. DD1 will be at an after-school club and DD2 at nursery.

Problem is they all want money IN ADVANCE! I haven't started my job yet, won't get paid for another month and I'm forking out £1500 already!! Which I don't have, cos I'm not working yet so I've had to borrow it off my mother.

When I worked before I used childminders and an on-site nursery, neither of which wanted advance payment so this has come as something of a shock!

It's being made worse to the tune of £600 by a second nursery which I'm moving DD2 to in December - they want a month's payment in advance, plus admin fees, just to book a place. shock

Just wanted to rant really - these cheques are incredibly painful to write before I've earned a penny!

ClaraDeLaNoche Wed 16-Sep-09 13:38:01

The cost of childcare makes me mad.

I can only hope that you have a great salary with which you can lick your wounds.

bluebump Wed 16-Sep-09 13:39:20

I feel lucky now that all I needed to pay was a £50 registration fee! Although I am just watching money burn a hole in my pocket as my DS is off sick from nursery this week and obviously we still have to pay for his place!

itsmeolord Wed 16-Sep-09 13:41:45

It's usual to pay in advance, doesn't make it any less of a smack in the face though does it.
You have my sympathies, childcare is bloody expensive.

ClaraDeLaNoche Wed 16-Sep-09 13:45:28

Can I just say that I do not think that childcare itself is expensive when you think about what you get. I just think that we shouldn't have to pay it all.

AnnieLobeseder Wed 16-Sep-09 14:34:01

Clara - hardly a great salary but at least enough to cover childcare and still come home with a couple of hundred. Sigh.....

At this rate all my first couple of months salary will go to paying back what I borrowed to cover this month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now