Talk

Advanced search

possible job - but weekend working

(6 Posts)
halia Fri 11-Sep-09 12:49:33

I've just had an interview for a job - don't know at all whether I will get offered it but need to make my mind up about whether to accept it if I do get an offer.

Pro's
Its very local - 15 mins walk from home, 5-10 mins walk from DS school.
its 16 hrs
Only 2x a week would DS need to go to afterschool club and I could collect him by 5pm
3 days a week would be entirely free for me so I could study/volunteer etc
I would be able to take DS to school every morning with no rush
I would be around a fair amount during the week for sports days, DS ill etc etc
Pay is reasonable
No additional expenses (suits, travel etc)

Con's
It includes ALWAYS working 12-4pm every saturday AND sunday

I'm torn, all the pro's are really important to me. We live in a small market town and tbh the chances of getting a half decent job that fits around school hrs is minimal. I love the fact that this means out of 10 possible sessions DS only needs to go twice to out of school care. During holidays I will be able to get away with minimal kids club etc.

If I do get offered it and turn it down I'm not sure what my chances are of getting anything else locally, and travel to the nearest big town would take 1hr each way so pretty mich mean even p/t jobs would ential ALOT more childcare!

but.............. saturday AND sunday every weekend feels like an awful lot. There is no flexibility - those are the hours.

scattercushion Fri 11-Sep-09 12:59:34

I would accept it. 12-4 around lunchtime so you could still have activities/fun in the morning and organise stuff for ds to do whilst you're working eg swimming.

If it gets you down start looking for another one whilst working at this one!

stubbyfingers Fri 11-Sep-09 13:03:42

There's always annual leave for the occasional wkend off? Sounds great for work/life balance and like scatter says, there's weekend mornings to enjoy with DS. Also, 12-4 is really not that long and you can still have tea together.

I'm jealous! Good luck with whatever happens.

MorganRee Fri 11-Sep-09 13:04:08

IMHO it depends on how much you value your weekends with your DS
Do you enjoy doing things at the weekend?
Is there actually anything your family will miss out on by you working those 4 hours a day?
I would weigh those up against how desperate you are for the job and go from there

halia Fri 11-Sep-09 13:21:53

thanks all, that was what I was thinking that the weekend working was balanced by the other stuff.

Unfortunatly I just got a phone call saying I was pipped at the post by someone else. &^*%&

stubbyfingers Fri 11-Sep-09 16:30:52

Awww, sorry to hear that. Better luck next time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now