Talk

Advanced search

Is it a good idea to pre-empt what I would consider to be a concern when applying for this job???

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Fri 11-Sep-09 11:34:12

Have seen a job i would like to apply for. I took VR and finished work in May. I ahve not applied for any other jobs as yet and to be honest this job is for the company i was hoping i could get work with, all good so far. My prevous role was a much higher level than the one i am aplying for and FT, this role is PT. When I used to interview this would concner me. So do I use some of the CV statement about me to drop in that I want a PT role now????

MrsMopple Fri 11-Sep-09 11:37:02

I would probably put that in a covering letter, rather than in your CV. But I can't give you a reason why I feel that.

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 11-Sep-09 11:52:03

I just don't want them to look at it as me being over qualified, made redundant and now applying for a lower paid pt job iyswim

flowerybeanbag Fri 11-Sep-09 12:00:01

It doesn't sound like the part time aspect is going to be of concern particularly. It's perfectly normal for people to want to reduce their hours, although you could refer to it being a deliberate decision in your covering letter if you like.

My concern would not be about why do you want to work less hours, it would be why do you want a lower paid, lower level job. That's what you need to address. I would be concerned that you'd get bored and frustrated quickly in a lower level job and would want a very reassuring answer as to why that won't happen.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 11-Sep-09 12:04:21

I interview a lot of part time people and if there is no mention in their application of why they want part time then we would flag that up. When filling a part time role you want to know that PT is what the person wants and it's not a foot in the door thing and they're going to bugger off in 3 months so I would definitely put in something about your plans for the rest of the week (SAHM is fine btw, it's just nice to know).

However, I bow to Flowery's greater knowledge in all things HR. I just have a high staff turnover, I'm no expert!

flowerybeanbag Fri 11-Sep-09 12:08:13

I agree I would flag up the change to part time and probably ask about it in interview, yes. But in terms of what might put me off interviewing someone in the first place, therefore needing addressing sooner, it would be the downgrade in job.

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 12-Sep-09 07:33:53

Which is exactly why I think i should mention it cause i used to ahve those thoughts when i interviewed too wink

The role I was doing was very demanding and not really a role that could be done in 35 hrs, not a chance of being able to get PT hours doing it and tbh i don't think it would work as a pt role or even a job share.

I have lots of skills and really enjoyed my work and this is the only way to put them to use realLy without going ft. My parents used to look after DD but dad is very poorly, recovering from life saving op, and personally I don't want DD in a nursery for 40 hours a week.

Its two days totaling 15.5 hrs and I am starting to get to that point where i need to go to work.

hth

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 12-Sep-09 07:34:42

PS thanks everyone blush

Oh and how do I say all of that in my app?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now