Talk

Advanced search

need a CV - can you help with a template?

(16 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 08-Sep-09 16:25:41

Hi all

Am going to be applying for a job but its been 13 years since i had to apply do you have a template CV that isn't going to look outdated.

Thanks

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 16:30:18

good luck with applying for a job!

start with you important details: your name, address, contact email and phone number.
you do not need to give your marital status, date of birth or gender.

then put a short profile of yourself. three or four sentences telling the prospective employer what your main skills are, what you can offer (hard-working, practical, friendly, etc) and what you're looking for in a job.

then list your work history with most recent first. now's a good time to explain what you've been doing for 13 years: mother of xx children, skills achieved etc (you'd be amazed how many skills you can get from being a mum: organization, budgeting, time-keeping etc etc)
then put your qualifications (most recent first) you don't need to list them all with subject: 5 gcses grade C including english and maths is fine.
then a short bit about what you like to do in your spare time (list 3 hobbies no more)

then put "references available on request"

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 16:31:00

ps: you don't need to write curriculum vitae at the top: head the CV with your name top and centre.
then all your info underneath.
makes you look confident.

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 16:34:40

me again!

if you help with any clubs etc, put that in your employment history.

gallery Tue 08-Sep-09 19:28:02

my friend does recruitment and she got me to revamp my header section- she said put achievements that demonstrate you are a high achiever or deliverer etc. So top few statements after name address etc are a few bullet points of my career highlights
I never put personal stuff- married ,kids or hobbies. Just that I have a full drivers licence. If I had a first aid cert, I would put that
I agree with nicklebabe. there a re a lot of good skills from being a mom and running a house hold- most men do appreciate these as well

gallery Tue 08-Sep-09 21:25:20

am sorry, head in a tizz, wetn away and thought about post and realised that you must put more personal stuff to show what you have developed as skills - so please ignore my comments about not putting kids etc- it is all relevant for you

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 06:59:55

Thanks guys, The reason I've not applied for so long is cause I was with the same company and recently took VR not cuae I've been off work with kids. My fault for not making that clear.

Ok this is going to sound kind of sad but with hobbies don't really have anything blush, funny casue this is the bit i used to love talking to people about when i interviewed!!!!

gallery Wed 09-Sep-09 14:50:43

I have just pulled a recent cv I did and edited it to sanitise it to remove my personal data but leave a flavour of what it looks like- if you email me or show me how to email you I can send you if you want it.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 14:58:58

Thanks gallery if you alter your setting to accept messages I'll contact you re this

gallery Wed 09-Sep-09 15:40:58

lovebeingamummy
changed my setting, if you contact me should be able to send you tonight

foofi Wed 09-Sep-09 16:10:58

I didn't watch it, but I know there was a piece on improving your CV on GMTV yesterday. here

gallery Wed 09-Sep-09 20:50:30

logged onto mumsnet and also home email and can't see anything lovebeingamummy. Can you tell me where I will see the contact - not done this email contact thing before

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 21:55:32

HI Gallery sorry for the delay its the first chance i've had to come back.. Have sent a message but you probably won't get till tomorow cause I think it gose via MNHQ

nickelbabe Thu 10-Sep-09 13:00:33

LoveBeingamummy: i used to have
"I love reading and read all sorts of books including fiction and non-fiction." "I excercise regularly; swimming and aerobics" and something else ridiculously inane.
you can put stuff you enjoy doing with the kids (walking through the park can translate to country walks, playing in the garden can be regular exercise, socializing, cooking, etc)

gallery Thu 10-Sep-09 19:57:21

Lovebeingamummmy, I got the contact and emailed you tonight

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 11-Sep-09 07:33:24

Thanks Gallery will take a look, need to get it sorted today and sent off cause closing date is sunday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now