Talk

Advanced search

Working mums - where are your kids this half term week?

(10 Posts)
janinlondon Thu 02-Jun-05 12:59:52

Just wondering how everyone has handled the half term holidays and whether I could learn from the experience of others? I used one day of leave, Daddy did two days, and the other two days are at Arty Party playscheme. What about any one else?

soapbox Thu 02-Jun-05 13:03:02

Nanny - does afterschool care in term time and full time in holidays!

Works well for us!

Only thing is I sit here all jealous thinking of them off having fun wihtout me

However, off on holiday tomorrow so that will make up for it

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 13:05:06

I had a day off, dh did two days and tomorrow the childminder is coming.

Our childminder comes to the house and does holidays and after school care like soapbox.

she has a 10 year old and they are all going to a soft play place

<<shudder>>

batters Thu 02-Jun-05 13:17:46

hello janinlondon .

How was Arty Party?

I've done one day of TOIL (I manage to get about 2 to 3 weeks extra annual leave this way); and one day annual leave. Dd is going to her childminder's tomorrow.

I think that the mish mash of childcare which you mention is what a lot of us have to do . It is a real balancing act, especially for those of us whose partners get two weeks annual leave a year. And actually the half terms are more problematic than the summer holidays in a way as there don't seem to be the same amount of schemes available.

Has your dd got any special friends at her school that you could look after for a day here and there and get the other set of parents to do the same in return? That can work well, too.

And there are Trojan schemes in our area for the summer and easter holidays, although it seems they can not be booked easily or much in advance. And of course the council schemes which I wax lyrical about. Also the YMCA in Wimbledon does holiday clubs, I guess all the branches might offer a similar service. And have you thought about looking for holiday clubs near your place of work - that might come up trumps too. But I personally think that these clubs work best if your child goes with a friend, I know my dd simply wouldn't enjoy the playschemes without her friend being there.

Marina Thu 02-Jun-05 13:21:02

We've mish-mashed too and had a fortnight to fill this time = nine days excluding the Bank Holiday.
This time dd has been to nursery except for days when we were all on a short holiday. My sister is covering two days and dh another two, and I have done the rest as my leave allocation is more generous.
Back at work today and missing all of them (even dh ) very badly

janinlondon Thu 02-Jun-05 13:23:24

Hi Batters. First day of Arty Party today so will let you know. The test will be if she wants to go back tomorrow. The friends on exchange thing was my best hope, but most of the Mums at her school either don't work so don't need the exchange, or come with three or four children, which would drive me insane!!!!

SoftFroggie Thu 02-Jun-05 13:36:06

Janinlondon:
You say that the mums with lots of kids work - would that be becuase it drives them insane too? and the mums with only one or two can stand being at home?

batters Thu 02-Jun-05 13:42:16

oh Marina . Hope you had a good hols.

Janinlondon, we need to get our dds to meet up properly and see if they get on well enough for us to think about doing a few days swop here and there....

Softfroggie - what are you saying??!!

Sponge Thu 02-Jun-05 13:51:27

We have a nanny so in theory not difficult but she is really ds's nanny (10 months) so dd gets bored at home with the two of them all day.
Tuesday and Wednesday a friend came round to play with her, today dh has taken them to Chessington and tomorrow my SIL is taking them on the London Eye. Also we're quite lucky as her school does half term activity clubs. Not looking forward to the long summer break though - the poor wee thing is going to be bored to tears I think.

SoftFroggie Thu 02-Jun-05 13:53:52

s'posed to be a joke - didn't come across well.

just that janinlondon said an exchange wouldn't work as all the working mums have 3 or 4 kids to look after... I had a picture of these mums of big families saying "right, got to get out of the house, gonna get a job".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now