Talk

Advanced search

I have been short-listed for 2 jobs but just have ZERO confidence!!!!!

(8 Posts)
Jazzicatz Sun 06-Sep-09 18:04:12

For the last four years I have been reading for a PhD, which is still incomplete, but due to lack of finances have started applying for permanent jobs. I have been short-listed for 2, and have the interviews at the end of the week. I just feel so negative about it and don't think I will get them. How can I be more positive???

BlueBumedFly Sun 06-Sep-09 18:13:19

Write down on a piece of paper all the reasons why you would be great for the job and all the reasons why you aren't. I BET you have loads and loads more reasons that you will be great.

Maybe do a swot on yourself, focus on your strengths and the opportunities the new jobs will give you.

Think of the bigger picture, a new job means new people to meet, money, more opportunities to broaden your horizons etc. The benefits must far outweight the negatives and maybe if you keep these in mind it will help you to be more confident. Perhaps you have a special day/date in mind that you would not normally be able to do without the added income of the job. Perhaps focus on that?

Write out a list of questions that you want answers to at the interview and take the pad so you can make sure you come across as confident, taking the pad is absolutely not a problem, it just shows you are a good planner.

Good luck - I am sure you will be fantastic.

Jazzicatz Mon 07-Sep-09 08:59:02

Thank you Blue, really good advice. Been at home for so long that I just don't think I can do it anymore.

MaryBS Mon 07-Sep-09 09:03:41

There is a good reason why you got interviews (TWO!!!!), and that is because they believe you are a strong candidate, and can do the job. Believe me, I don't believe you'd have got TWO interviews if that weren't the case. Blue has given you some good advice - also, do you have any friends who can support you in this, build you up?

I am currently unemployed and know what you mean, but you CAN do this!

rupertsabear Mon 07-Sep-09 09:05:49

Think about what they're going to ask you - in particular what sort of qualities they are looking for in an applicant, and prepare some examples of things you have done which demonstrated those qualities. That way your experience doesn't have to be directly relevant, as long as you can show that you are a competent person in different ways.

And don't talk yourself out of it in advance. If they've shortlisted you it means that you look like you can do it. So prepare properly, including what you're going to say and what you're going to wear. Don't apologise for yourself when you get there, or draw attention to the fact you are concerned you won't be able to do the job well.

Jazzicatz Thu 10-Sep-09 12:09:36

The nerves took over and I cancelled both interviews sad

beatiebow Thu 10-Sep-09 16:57:31

sad So sorry to hear that. I have no confidence either.

dollyparting Thu 10-Sep-09 18:21:03

Jazzicatz, just wondering whether you think now that you canceled the interview because you were nervous/lacked confidence/whatever, or whether you have canceled them because you are unsure about your plans for the future?

I see that you are doing a PhD, and that working now was not in your original plan. Are you somehow sabotaging your chances at these jobs because you know that if you take on these roles you will not complete your doctorate (which I assume must be important to you)?

You must be a bright, intelligent person to have got this far. Indecision is a killer, and is stressful. Can you make a clear decision about what you really, really want.

If it is your PhD, then go for it quickly, if short-term finance is the priority then make a specific plan about how much money you need, how long you will work for ,and what the exact implications are for completing your studies. Make it like a project plan - cross off the milestones, and return to your studies.

If you are giving up on your doctorate, then do it positively and decisively - a clean break, and reflect positively on the wonderful time you have had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now