Talk

Advanced search

help me find a new career :)

(4 Posts)
mimsum Sat 29-Aug-09 22:06:36

I've been out of full time work for nearly 9 years now shock - we moved to the US for a bit for DH's career (which then took off) and I didn't have a working visa. When we got back after a year or so I'd given myself 9 months to get the kids settled into school etc and find a job but ended up getting pregnant and it all got too complicated.

My background is broadcasting and for the last 4 years I've been doing some (very) part-time work in adult education. However, there's much more demand for the work I'm currently doing in the evenings and at weekends and as DH is out of the country for weeks at a time, I can't do any more than I"m already doing.

What I'm after is a part-time, school hours, term-time job which will keep my brain ticking over. I need part-time as two of my dc have SN and have lots of appointments etc, also I'm involved in a couple of voluntary organisations and wouldn't want to have to stop that. I've realised that I have no entrepreneurial streak so have no ambitions to set myself up in business. Any ideas gratefully received

Anste Sun 30-Aug-09 04:48:19

You could do with working in a school! Its rather difficult these days as you need lots of qualifications to even apply (but not impossible). Why not volunteer first, (help is always needed, with your background they may need help with the school mag.) to see if you'd like it. Once there you'll get to know the ins and outs and take it from there.

Schools are always looking out for SMSA's (dinner ladies). The job is a little different nowadays to how you imagine or remember, worth a little look, and again once you're in a school you know where the openings are. Good luck.

Mamulik Sun 30-Aug-09 16:01:26

Adult education sounds good, why dont you investigate it in your area?

berniechase Wed 16-Sep-09 17:07:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now