Talk

Advanced search

Only met one childminder, liked her, do I need to see more?

(12 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sun 23-Aug-09 23:12:28

I'm in the process of going back to work, slowly. We met a childminder last week. She seemed very nice and I would be happy to leave DD with her. However, I found her slightly randomly (emailed a few, she was the only one who replied) and I feel I ought to meet some more or I'll be letting DD down or something silly blush but then I think it's pointless meeting more if I liked this one. Slightly late-night rambling blush but should I feel obliged to meet more CMs or just be grateful that we found someone good right away?

lechatnoir Sun 23-Aug-09 23:28:01

I think the fact that you are happy to leave your DD with her speaks volumes so as long as she checks out OK really wouldn't bother going to see more just for the sake of it. I saw 9 (yes 9!!) but the minute I met our CM I knew she'd be perfect and only wish I hadn't had to see so many dreadful CMs first grin.

LCN

Acinonyx Mon 24-Aug-09 10:18:55

When we moved there was only one CM who had a vacancy here. Fortunately I liked her and it was fine. I think this is often the case. But I did worry, before meeting her, about what on earth I would do if I didn't like her!

DitaVonCheese Tue 25-Aug-09 21:42:31

Thanks

I am really just looking for permission just to see one I think. However, she's away for a week so I have thinking time, so I think I'll see one more just so I can feel as though I did the right thing! Thanks for the replies

Orissiah Wed 26-Aug-09 08:55:08

We saw two CMs and loved the second one we met and stopped the search. We went on gut feeling and instinct as well as references and OFSTED reports and looking at her house etc. We are SO SO happy with her. Go with your gut, buyt do please check her OFSTED report and references - these are critical.

pippel Wed 26-Aug-09 09:18:05

I met my childminder in a random way as well, I asked a childminder I knew if she had any spaces and she said no but my friend has just become a childminder and hasnt got any children yet. I met her and knew she was the perfect childminder for dd and never bothered to meet anyone else.

OFSTED reports are important, but I dont consider them vitally important I trust gut instinct and refrences more. Dont forget that they are one or two peoples opinions based on one day, some inspectors are a lot harsher than others (Im a nursery nurse by the way!)

pippel Wed 26-Aug-09 09:24:11

Sorry just to clarify that I would look at the recomendations on the report rather than relying on the rating.

DitaVonCheese Thu 27-Aug-09 18:07:54

Cheers. I have now met another one, and though I'd be happier to leave DD with either, I feel like I clicked more with the first one

When we met her, she showed me emails and thank you cards from other parents - are those what you mean by references or should I be contacting them myself? Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Orissiah Sat 29-Aug-09 20:09:45

Our CM gave us a list of parents and we were free to call them. That level of confidence is priceless. Also, please check CM's OFSTED report - get her number and check on the OFSTED site.

Mamulik Sun 30-Aug-09 15:57:47

make sure she is Ofsted regirested and take her references

TheFallenMadonna Sun 30-Aug-09 15:59:05

We only went to see one nursery. We liked it, we knew people who were happy with it, we used it.

We didn't go to see any primary schools at all...

Karam Sun 30-Aug-09 19:38:31

I only ever went to see one CM. With DD1, I saw 101 nurseries, eventually settled on the one I felt was best, and whilst DD1 was happy there, she never loved the place. With DD2, I felt a CM would be more appropriate for her. A local friend recommended one CM. I read her ofsted, went to visit her, everything felt right about her, so I said I'd go with her (even though she told me to look around..) and we never looked back! My DD absolutely adores her childminder, and I know I didn't need to look at any others because I knew she was right for us. When you find the one, I think often you know and then don't need to look. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now