Talk

Advanced search

ok, am job hunting... need a CV and need help

(5 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Thu 20-Aug-09 23:40:14

After 9 years of looking after 2 disabled kids and 2 kids without disabilities and one DH who has severe arthritis (which is under control atm) I have decided to go back to work. Dh will be a full time carer and look after the kids.
I have looked and found some fab sounding jobs, one is a driver for the library service, but I need a C1 licence which I dont have so need to see how I go about that, and the other is a job on advising parents on the services that our local children schools and families dept offer. I am very knowledgeable about their services after using them for so long, so hope that would be a good thing??!!

I need a CV and just need help and advice on jobhunting atm, havent had a job interview in years since I left my job at safeways to become a fulltime carer when Ds1 was diagnosed with Cerebral palsy. I am nervous and excited too

llareggub Thu 20-Aug-09 23:48:56

They sound like council jobs to be, so my advice is to concentrate less on pulling together a CV and more on filling in the application form, as you'll need to tailor it to the job.

Once you've seen the person specification, you'll probably need to write a personal statement setting out how you meet the skills required for the job as set out in the person spec. Make sure you write a paragraph or so on each essential criteria listed. That'll help you get shortlisted. Don't worry so much about using past work experience as an example, you can use examples from any part of your life.

You probably will only need to fill in the application form for the jobs you mentioned, but if you need a CV come back to the thread.

Good luck with the job search, I hope it goes well. Have you thought about applying to Social Services to work with people with disabilities?

SparklyGothKat Thu 20-Aug-09 23:53:50

I would love to work with people with disabilities or children. I have no exams in these areas, but ov. my daily life has been a huge learning curve. I cant fill the forms in online as my computer doesnt want to play ball atm so going to phone them tomorrow and ask for a hard copy, or go to Library and use theirs.

llareggub Fri 21-Aug-09 00:00:15

You don't need exams. Most places would want you to do NVQs on the job though. I think your experience would be more valuable than an exam.

Have a look at Social Care Careers for more information.

SparklyGothKat Fri 21-Aug-09 00:09:04

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now