Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Looking for a complete career change. I want to go into social care work, I understand

(6 Posts)
couture1 Fri 14-Aug-09 10:42:18

that I need an NVQ level 3 in Health & Social as it is a requirement for all the positions I have seen advertised. I phoned my local colleges who said I need to be in paid employment in a social / caring environment before I can do the NVQ. Its a catch 22 - does anyone know how I cant get an NVQ 3 in social what sort of workplaces would employ me with no experience. Ive worked in corporate companies for 20 odd years and have decided to give it up and follow my passion but its seems impossible.

BuffyTheFluffySlayer Fri 14-Aug-09 10:51:06

Have you thought of training as a nurse first? Care staff in care homes can get the NVQ as they work IIRC, there's also nurseries. The pay really is dire though. Have you thought about a hospital job (care assistant), this is also on the job training and the pay is better then working in a nursery.

couture1 Fri 14-Aug-09 10:58:29

Thanks Buffy. My options could be working in a childrens nursery, care home or care assistant in a hospital. How long does it take to get the NVQ level 3 once started?

couture1 Fri 14-Aug-09 16:15:02

How long would it take to do a NVQ 2 or 3 does anyone know?

Ineedabreak Sat 15-Aug-09 14:22:53

Which part of the country are you. There are good and not good care homes / nursing homes / home care agencies so have a good look around. Think about the 'group' of people you want to work with, older people, people with learning disabilities, etc etc

have a look here to find places in your area

write directly to the homes detailing what you can offer and that you are willing to work for NVQ 3.(takes about 18 months)

Think about working directly for the home as a carer or activity coordinator or setting up as a freelance to come into a home and do specific activities linked to any skills / hobbies you have - music, reminisence etc etc

If you want to work with children why not approach local pre schools - once you have a position you will be eligible to do NVQ or other training.

Pay not good at first but when you get experience can open other doors.

good luck!

couture1 Sat 15-Aug-09 14:30:12

Thank you Ineedabreak, I'm interested in working with childeren and families eventaully. I am in birmingham so will look around and check out preschools etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now