Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else just work for one day a week?

(8 Posts)
Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 05:53:35

I am due to return to work as a teacher for one day a week in September. I thought I was very lucky to have this option (keeps me up to date with new intiatives, maintains confidence etc) but recently have had a few negative comments from a friend about how unsatisfying it will be etc. Am also stressing about finding the right childcare, hence posts in those sections. (will be looked after by family until he is about 18months and then need to find another arrangement). Think I have had a touch of depression so that it why it is all worrying me so much. Would be helpful to hear anyone else's experiences of working just a short time each week.

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 19:08:56

hi. i work in a school and we have 4 staff that all do 1 day a week. they are doing it for similar reasons as you. to stay in touch with the curriculum, for social reasons, for confidence when they do return for more days and for money.

i think you will be fine. its always hard returning to work after such a long time off and after spending so much of you time devoted to your child.

just take one day at a time.

im sure once you get back into the swing of things it will feel like you have never been away.

chegirl Fri 14-Aug-09 19:29:03

I work 2 short days = 10hrs 20mins per week.

I love it. I has its disadvantages in that you do not achieve the magic 16 hrs required for childcare help etc.

But I love having the option of working in a job I love as a Portage worker but it not being a stress on my family life.

I have caring responsiblities as well as 3 kids so it suits me very well.

Good luck with your return to work.

vonsudenfedhatespauldacre Fri 14-Aug-09 19:40:13

I used to - one day a week in the office and a bit more at home on a busy week. Has now stopped as they have run out of money!

It suited me down to the ground - I didn't want to put DD into childcare for the majority of the week, and it kept my options open in terms of going back to that kind of job later on - made my CV look better.

It can be a bit frustrating - I was always a bit out of the loop regarding news (but the company was notoriously bad at communicating anyway). However, I'd gone into it on the basis that I was going to do one day and get out and not worry about it when I was at home - that nearly worked!

DD went, and still goes to a lovely childminder - in fact she went one full day and one half day to give me a chance to catch up with other stuff. Worked fine, she loves it there and it's a real home from home situation. My friend who is a teacher has her DS with a childminder one day a week termtime only, so I am sure you could find something similar.

Alittlebitrestless Fri 14-Aug-09 19:41:40

Thank you so much for replying and not telling me I am being daft. I think I probably am being a bit daft worrying about it all but...It's nice to have encouraging replies!

Speckledeggy Sat 15-Aug-09 01:54:23

Remember, you also have the luxury of choice! I have a fully full time job. There is no way on earth I could back one day a week. I either have to do full time or find another job.

Try the one day and see how it goes. You can always do more or none at all! Also, you cannot imagine how it will be until you do it.

Think I may retrain to become a teacher!!!

Alittlebitrestless Sat 15-Aug-09 09:26:54

As I said in my OP I think I am very lucky to have that option.

If you are serious about re-training then go for it. Schools always need good teachers!

Speckledeggy Sat 15-Aug-09 11:18:05

I am sure it will all be fine for you.

Yes, I have looked into it. Have spent a bit of time in the classroom too but the timing hasn't been right. The thought of being able to work just one day a week is very appealing though. Not many jobs you can do that.

Good luck with everything.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now