Talk

Advanced search

Writing a cv - does every use bullett points when explain their previous jobs?

(7 Posts)
waitingforbetterdays Wed 12-Aug-09 21:22:17

I'm finding it difficult to explain in bullet points exactlty what i did in previous jobs.

From looking online that seems to be the layout now?

DottyDot Wed 12-Aug-09 22:50:18

Hi - yes I think so. 3 - 4 sentences for each bullet point and maybe 3 - 5 bullet points in total. Try to keep your CV to 2 sides maximum if possible. Cut down on the number of bullet points by just explaining the progression you've made between jobs, so that you're not repeating skills and experience in each one.

Get rid of any personal information/hobbies nonsense and cut right down on qualifications - no details on O levels/GCSEs etc.

Nice clear font like Arial and consider maybe having a summary at the beginning with your main skills/experience.

smile

waitingforbetterdays Thu 13-Aug-09 12:11:51

thank you for the reply, this is such hard work... smile

DottyDot Thu 13-Aug-09 20:06:02

no problem - I'm used to looking at/tarting up CVs so if you're really stuck or worried about it I could have a look? You can e-mail me on: lakinson dot house at ntlworld dot com

smile

waitingforbetterdays Thu 13-Aug-09 22:37:57

Oh thanks that is really kind of you, as I'm worried I am sooo out of touch with it all.

I have not got a copy on the computer as yet, but as soon as I have I will forward you a copy. I really do need the help. grin

Speckledeggy Thu 13-Aug-09 23:54:51

Agree with DottyDot to use bullet points although for my CV I have a single sentence per bullet...

- Commanded Starship Enterprise for first three months of voyage
- Logged flying hours as per Star Trek regulations
- Liaised with martians regarding release of gekky prisoners

Also, start with a positive action...
Designed
Liased
Actioned
Communicated
Increased

If you can quantify the action too that's good...
Increased sales by £450k per annum

Initial sifts of CVs are very quick so they key points need to stand out immediately.

Why not get a book from the library? Also, have a look online at jobs advertised. You can see what employers are looking for and it will give you an idea of how to phrase things. I don't know what you're looking for but there are loads of sites; Reed, Monster, Total Jobs, etc.

waitingforbetterdays Fri 14-Aug-09 22:55:33

yes I think I will look at advertised jobs, that will be a good idea.. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now