Talk

Advanced search

Did your toddler start going to nursery around 22 months?

(4 Posts)
TreeTrunkThighs Mon 10-Aug-09 16:57:48

If so, can you tell me about the settling in that took place before they started?

I have looked round the nursery that DD1 went to and DD2 will probably go there, but I am having slight reservations so exploring a couple of other options tomorrow.

One of my reservations is about the settling in period so I need some perspective.

How many sessions and for how long did yours have?

bratley Mon 10-Aug-09 21:36:52

My DS has just started nursery last week, he was 2 on the monday and started on the thursday.
We went to the nursery for a look around, lasted about an hour, chatting to all the staff and the manager.
Then a week before his start date we both went for an hour 'settling in' session, after about 15minutes he was so happy I came home ( we live accross the road from nursery), when I went back the girls said he was fine, had a little cry but then got distracted!
Then 3 days before he started he had an hour there on his own and again, he had a little cry but was fine, was grinning ear to ear when I picked him up!
The manager said that if he hadn't settled we could have fitted in a couple more 'settling sessions' and postponed the start date if we needed to.
Now he's done a couple of full days and he's been absolutely fine, baked, painted, made 'things'... he loves it. Cried his little heart out on Saturday when he asked to go to nursery and I told him it was closed!

2to3 Mon 10-Aug-09 21:37:31

My twin boys started at 20 months and there were three settling in sessions. After that they both howled every time I left for about a month before they got used to it. I don't know if any more sessions would have made a difference or not - the staff always told me they stopped howling as soon as I'd gone. As it turned out I put them in a Montessori nursery the following year, where they have four settling in sessions and an open door policy which means parents and siblings are welcome to stay whenever and however long they want. I much prefer the latter.

TreeTrunkThighs Tue 11-Aug-09 22:00:38

Thanks

I have visited another nursery and a childminder today and it seems my 1st choice nursery is offering less than average in terms of settling in.

I am going to ring them and increase the sessions from 1 to 3 - seems to be the 'norm'.

Agains, thanks for the perspective. Also for reminding me that it takes time for them to really get used to it.

I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks looking for more reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now