Talk

Advanced search

Setting up own business but getting nervous...

(5 Posts)
gettingabitnervousnow Thu 06-Aug-09 22:07:40

I am currently on maternity leave with my 6 month old DD.

I dont want to return to my present employer as I would have to need to go back full time.

After an awful lot of research (18 months), including speaking to several of the existing franchisees, I have decided to buy a franchise business. I will need to work full time hours but am planning to structure it so that I work 3 days (mum/sis will have DS) and make up the rest of the hours in the evening.

I would love to stay at home with DS full time but I am the main breadwinner so this isn't an option but I am hoping that this will be the next best thing and allow me to structure things round DS and make sure I am there for all his appointments etc. It should also work really well once he is as school as I will be able to drop him off and pick him up and work inbetween.

I am also very excited at the prospect of being my own boss as I've always wanted to do this.

So why as the launch date draws closer am I starting to question whether I am doing the right thing?

I know I am very lucky to have this opportunity and even more so that my mum/sis are willing to have DS, but I am suddenly panicking about how much I will get to see my little boy - I guess I've just got used to being with him all the time.

I know deep down I just need to grow up and get on with things but suddenly it all seems so overwhelming, both setting up a new business and leaving DS.

Would love to hear from anyone else in the process of setting up their own business? Or anyone who just wants to give me the kick up the bum for being such a wuss...

Wigeon Fri 07-Aug-09 10:20:55

Your DS will love seeing lots of his aunt and granny. You will feel great that he is being looked after people who love him (none of the guilt that comes with leaving a DC at nursery). You will really appreciate the time you do have with him. You will feel really great about yourself as everything you achieve at work will be 100% down to you. You will realise that DS actually enjoys being away from you with other fun people and that you enjoy a bit of time away from him!

Good luck!

fourlittlefeet Mon 10-Aug-09 12:49:15

that sounds so exciting! I'm just setting up my own business too. not a franchise though, I came up with a product and am selling it through my eshop (which I had to learn to set up!). I do quite a bit at home with my DC's (2 1/4 and 7 months).

mumoverseas Tue 11-Aug-09 16:32:04

I've recently taken the step of starting my own business.
For the past 4 years I've been kidding myself I'm just on a career break due to living overseas as a result of DH's work.
I am unable to work in my 'normal' employment out there and have kept convincing myself it was a short term thing. I have kept up with some studies to enable me to return to work (subject to finding a vacancy in the current environment) but now realise I am unlikely to return to my former 'trade' as we are likely to be abroad for a few more years.

I am therefore setting up a business and starting sign language & singing classes for babies/toddlers where I live as there are quite a few children on the compound. I return there next month and hope to start the classes at the beginning of October. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to the rest of you that are taking the plunge too

gettingabitnervousnow Wed 12-Aug-09 20:21:27

Thanks so much for your encouragement Wigeon

Good luck with your businesses fourlittlefeet and mumoverseas - would love to hear how it goes for you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now