Talk

Advanced search

I would like to be a teaching assistant

(8 Posts)

What qualifications do I need and whats the best way to get into this sort of job.

LIZS Thu 06-Aug-09 17:23:55

You don't actually need any particular qualifications. There are several introductory courses and NVQ's but ideally you really need the placement first. Volunteering in a school is one way to get some experience and make contacts. Some areas run their own free taster courses, either funded by LEA and/or charities.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 06-Aug-09 17:26:46

I got my job with no expereince, decide which age group you want to be with though, secondary can be tougher but I found it much more interesting and more rewarding, especially when one of my students who was predicted F's in his GCSE got D's

Thanks for that. I have enrolled at college to do childrens care learning and developement NVQ level 2 ( I work at a nursery) but have been made redundant last week so have lost my placement and as a result of that I wont be able to do the course. I had thought of asking the head Teacher if I could be a vounteer at the school my children go to and then enroll next september for the course... thats if this particular course is relevent to being a teaching assistant.

Madmentalbint Fri 07-Aug-09 19:37:10

That;s a great idea - although there may be another NVQ which would be more suitable. I have a friend who is doing an NVQ part time which is spesifically for teaching assistants.

I got my job without any formal experience. I was just an active parent helper.

SecretSlattern Fri 07-Aug-09 20:01:30

If you volunteer at the school now, you should still be able to do the CCLD this year. I worked as a TA for the past 6 months but due to borough cut backs, lost my job in July. I don't have any particular TA quals, but I do have the equivalent of the NVQ 3 CCLD (the one before it, Early Years, Care and Education). I would only do the TA course if you are sure that is what you want to do long term. Personally, I would do the CCLD as that opens up other settings other than schools (nursery, children's centres etc).

thanks for the replies. I cant get in touch with any schools at the moment because of the holidays. I love working with children and have previous experience of working with under 2s but would love to work with primary age children and also term time only. I am going to stay voluntary at the nursery but would love to do voluntary work at my childrens school though I cant enquire about that until school opens again. Is it possible to change settings once the CCLD course has started? Or do I have to stay where I start off at?

Sorry I sould explain that when I was told I was being made redundant I asked if I could do the minimum 7 hours I need voluntary so I wouldnt lose my place on the course, which obviously they agreed to. I could be taken back on if things pick up. The other alternative is to have a fresh start volunteering in school which would technicaly mean I change settings during the course (only a couple of weeks into it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now