Talk

Advanced search

How to have it all?

(4 Posts)
rosie81 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:00:31

I'm a namechanger here...

DH both work in an 'industry' we love and are passionate about, it's very much a lifestyle and all-consuming. Think leisure industry. Most of our friends and indeed families work in the same industry. It's pretty seasonal, requiring 7 day a week commitment from both us for about 8 months of the year.

I have just been given a promotion from my employer. I have a truly amazing job that I love. It's the job I've wanted my entire life. I started four months ago and I am three months pregnant. I work at least six days a week at the moment. My hours are fairly inflexible but my office is at home...I have to attend certain events that are scheduled at least three or four times a week (during the busy season) and that includes weekends. Those events are NOT flexible and there is NO chance of job-sharing. They take me out of the house from about 12pm to 6pm.

During the busy season I also travel a lot to those events in which case I am away from home up to three days at a time.

DH works 5am-1pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm. His hours are not flexible either.

We have no family support. DH thinks it's going to be easy but I can't see how we are going to manage without full-time help at home.

A lot of female contemporaries in my industry are already judging me for getting a great job and getting pregnant - I am a self-fulfilling prophecy for male bosses.

This is kind of rambling, but I would really like to hear from others who are in a situation where both parents work long hours and/or travel a lot and how they manage.

Thanks so much - I realise this a bit cryptic but I live in fear of anyone I know reading this!

Peabody Tue 04-Aug-09 11:02:42

It sounds to me as though you'll need a nanny.

Hopefully Tue 04-Aug-09 12:50:41

Your job sounds amazing and incredibly fulfilling for you, and presumably you don't want to drop it all.

Can you afford a nanny? Surely it's the most sensible option?

I guess you might need to co-ordinate a little bit with your DH to ensure that at least one of you is at home every night and things like that, could you do that?

rosie81 Tue 04-Aug-09 13:38:32

Thanks for your replies, I thought I would have this all out of my system by the time I came to have children but it's happened quicker than anticipated. I think we'll have to have a nanny.
Yes my job is incredibly fulfilling and I feel so lucky to have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now