Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

How to have it all?

(4 Posts)
rosie81 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:00:31

I'm a namechanger here...

DH both work in an 'industry' we love and are passionate about, it's very much a lifestyle and all-consuming. Think leisure industry. Most of our friends and indeed families work in the same industry. It's pretty seasonal, requiring 7 day a week commitment from both us for about 8 months of the year.

I have just been given a promotion from my employer. I have a truly amazing job that I love. It's the job I've wanted my entire life. I started four months ago and I am three months pregnant. I work at least six days a week at the moment. My hours are fairly inflexible but my office is at home...I have to attend certain events that are scheduled at least three or four times a week (during the busy season) and that includes weekends. Those events are NOT flexible and there is NO chance of job-sharing. They take me out of the house from about 12pm to 6pm.

During the busy season I also travel a lot to those events in which case I am away from home up to three days at a time.

DH works 5am-1pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm. His hours are not flexible either.

We have no family support. DH thinks it's going to be easy but I can't see how we are going to manage without full-time help at home.

A lot of female contemporaries in my industry are already judging me for getting a great job and getting pregnant - I am a self-fulfilling prophecy for male bosses.

This is kind of rambling, but I would really like to hear from others who are in a situation where both parents work long hours and/or travel a lot and how they manage.

Thanks so much - I realise this a bit cryptic but I live in fear of anyone I know reading this!

Peabody Tue 04-Aug-09 11:02:42

It sounds to me as though you'll need a nanny.

Hopefully Tue 04-Aug-09 12:50:41

Your job sounds amazing and incredibly fulfilling for you, and presumably you don't want to drop it all.

Can you afford a nanny? Surely it's the most sensible option?

I guess you might need to co-ordinate a little bit with your DH to ensure that at least one of you is at home every night and things like that, could you do that?

rosie81 Tue 04-Aug-09 13:38:32

Thanks for your replies, I thought I would have this all out of my system by the time I came to have children but it's happened quicker than anticipated. I think we'll have to have a nanny.
Yes my job is incredibly fulfilling and I feel so lucky to have it.

mumsnet jobs

Jobs you might like

View all jobs »

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now