Talk

Advanced search

Who has an outdoorsy/wildlifey/countrysidey/national parkish sort of job?

(15 Posts)
TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 11:48:53

Will you tell me about it please?

Thanks smile

moopymoo Sun 02-Aug-09 11:52:50

I used to work as a countryside ranger. Was lots of fun and I absolutely loved it. I left because there was so much weekend work and the money was very very shite. As it is for most jobs in the sector. I have a heritage management degree plus I spent many years as a volunteer which is how i got into it.

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 12:02:27

Oh, weekend work could be a problem with 4 dcs!!
Thank you for telling me.
I am really hoping that I can find a job in an area that interests me. I know I will have to study though as I am pathetic and degreeless.

moopymoo Sun 02-Aug-09 12:05:27

are you able to do some volunteer work? That is a really good way into the sector. Dont want to put you off completely as there are some fab interesting jobs out there - but yes it was the weekend unfamily friendly stuff that made me leave - i have now retrained as a counsellor.

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 12:07:50

I don't have a great deal of time but I will look into it. Already volunteer for a village community thing <sigh>
My youngest starts school in Sept so things may open up a bit.

moopymoo Sun 02-Aug-09 12:10:40

this is a good place for job stuff but you have to subscribe for detailed search

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 12:19:23

Ooh thanks smile

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 16:14:24

bump smile

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 18:27:23

bump

SuperBunny Sun 02-Aug-09 18:42:36

Can you get involved with a local wildlife group - if there is an animal or thing you are interested in, volunteer work can eventually lead to paid work (but it is hard to get), e.g local bat/ badger/ raptor/ pond conservation people etc.

Also, BTCV sometimes do family days where you could take the DC to do some volunteer stuff.

vonsudenfed Sun 02-Aug-09 18:56:39

hello there (twocats still in disguise here)

Have a look at the National Trust jobs website - they do various traineeships and so on (the one I know about is gardening, but I think there are others). Plus loads of the NT is based near you (swindon and melksham), so why not ring them up and go in for a chat?

blithedance Sun 02-Aug-09 19:00:25

British waterways? you get to spend a lot of the time preseriving heritage canals and traipsing along tow paths.

TooTicky Sun 02-Aug-09 22:08:11

yes must look into wildlife groups.

hadn't thought of national trust, thanks

i havelooked at british waterways website but so far all vacancies rather technical sounding
canal good though, nice and close

sorry too knackered for punctuation and capitals, bad day

thanks all

SuperBunny Sun 02-Aug-09 23:39:30

Wildlife Trusts

BTCV

Bat Conservation

TooTicky Tue 04-Aug-09 10:04:57

Thank you SB. Will investigate fully when my brain is working again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now