Talk

Advanced search

Tell me I can stay home!

(5 Posts)
marenmj Sun 02-Aug-09 00:35:08

I am not "mumsy"

I am a control freak involved mother.

I admit this.

I have done a couple days back at work and though DD's nursery is very good, they couldn't possibly take care of her to my impossibly high standards. I have a hard time paying someone else to take care of my baby when I could do a better job. (nothing against any minders, but she is my baby )

I am currently on ML from a career I am good at, but hated (IT). I was actually waiting for residency to begin a course of study that would have me in an intensive career that I would love (lawyer).

My industry here in London pays ~1/3 to 3/4 what I was earning in the States, so I've already had the incentive to balls-to-the-wall and take the hit in pay to just make the switch.

When DD was born we made certain lifestyle changes so that we could live on DH's (good) salary alone without relying on mine.

DD was a surprise baby, but I am thinking that quitting my job and being a SAHM would actually give me the opportunity I needed to make the change - albeit about a year earlier than I had planned.

I have ghost-written two uni courses and am writing a proposal for a publisher for an accompanying textbook, so I know I can pick up some extra cash on the side if needed.

Please just tell me I can do this... my family have been unsupportive (members of a religion that believes a woman's greatest achievement is to be a mother, so a career would be a disservice to both my child and my spiritual health).

My DH has been VERY supportive, but that's just because he wants me to earn lots of money so he can be a house dad grin

blithedance Sun 02-Aug-09 00:44:07

To be honest you sound like the sort of person who will make a success of whatever you turn your hand to!

Law isn't well known for being a family friendly career though - what were you going to do for childcare then?

blinks Sun 02-Aug-09 00:46:03

fuck it- just do it.

TheCrackFox Sun 02-Aug-09 00:46:20

Just do it.

marenmj Sun 02-Aug-09 01:04:12

lol, thanks

re: childcare, I will just have to sort something out when the time comes. By the time I actually finished the course DD would likely be getting closer to starting school and will already be brainwashed indoctrinated started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now