Talk

Advanced search

Childcare vouchers - how do you work out how much they save you?

(5 Posts)
PuppyLoves Mon 27-Jul-09 14:34:58

How do you work out how much they save you and thus how much childcare is actually costing?

wasabipeanut Mon 27-Jul-09 14:37:03

I haved always seen it as the tax and NI you save on £243 which is the max monthly allowance. I would calculate tax and NI on that sum as approx £60 a month (and very approx) so for me that equates as a free day a month or two free days if there are 2 of you both claiming the allowance.

PortofinoLovesItUpTheOxoTower Mon 27-Jul-09 14:41:10

I'm not an expert but as these are Salary sacrifice you should also take into account anything else that is based on your salary percentage-wise, such as pension contributions, annual bonuses etc - which will end up lower.

PuppyLoves Mon 27-Jul-09 14:42:40

Thanks wasabipeanut smile

I am thinking of putting dd into a nursery when she is 2, which will allow me to work extra hours. I only need her to go PT a couple of times a week and I'm trying to work out how much it will cost but its so confusing.

Highlander Tue 28-Jul-09 12:06:37

You need to work out whether the loss of pension is worth it. We did the vouchers for a year and realised it was not worth it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now