Talk

Advanced search

If you are interviewed by a panel that includes someone you know....

(12 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:18:44

...can you/should you make a reference to the fact that you know each other during the interview or is this bad form.

ie. if this person was your immediate boss a few years ago and knows that you are more than capable of the job you are being interviewed for, can you make a reference to this. If for example you are asked about your strengths could you list them and add something along the lines of " as X can verify"

(thats probably a bad example but my brains a bit fried after stage 1 of the interview process...)

sassy Tue 21-Jul-09 21:24:21

I was interviewed by a friend recently and kept it utterly professional (3 on the panel). I didn't get the job, but think we handled it right.

Good luck - is this a toe back in the water for you?

llareggub Tue 21-Jul-09 21:26:30

No, I wouldn't, aside from greeting them at the beginning and end.

Sorry for short rely, feeding baby.

Good luck!

NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:31:05

It is a toe back in the water sassy and its scary!

My first interview in about 8 years shock and its a 2 parter. I've had the "informal" bit which left me feeling drained but I've still got the big formal interview to come if I get through.

I just think it might be a bit odd if I have to give examples from my last job when one of the interview panel was my supervisor there IYSWIM.

preggersplayspop Tue 21-Jul-09 21:31:05

Do you know this person is on the panel beforehand or a surprise when you get in there? If I knew who was on it I would probably make them aware of that so they had the option to change the panel if they felt that was appropriate.

If 'surprised' on the day, I would probably not refer to it as you have described, but keep the discussion as you would if you didn't know them. As llareggub says, keep it to greeting them at start and finish. No kissing though ha ha!

NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:32:00

thanks too llareggub, X'd posts there

NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:34:59

No we "met" at the informal session so had a chat at coffee break and I'm presuming she'll be on the formal interview panel.

She knew I had been shortlisted and I had a pretty good idea that she was involved with the process beforehand

preggersplayspop Tue 21-Jul-09 21:49:47

Chances are she has made sure the other panel members are aware of the background as well so they can decide if they think its appropriate for her to be there or not. I would, if I was in her position.

If you talk about your strengths and give good examples during your interview she should back you up afterwards when they do their de-brief, so you won't need to say 'as so and so can verify' - this will happen naturally as part of the process.

Good luck anyway and try not to stress about it! Sounds like you'll be fine in the interview!!

shonaspurtle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:51:58

I had this recently. I would say no, don't mention it just answer the questions as you would normally.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:56:30

I really loathe interviews TBH and am so scared I'm sure I'll fluff it.

On a positive note though this woman always gave me great feedback and praise about the quality of my work in the 3 years we worked together so at least she might give positive reports to the panel.

sassy -where are you at job-wise now? Were you supply teaching at some awful school "near the motorway" last time we met or am I getting confused?

NorbertDentressangle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:57:24

Thanks shona.

lisad123 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:59:57

i had this too when going back after mat leave. I didnt bring it up, but she had told pannel before hand.
Just answer as normal. Its very odd, having to interview someone you know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now