Talk

Advanced search

Just can't go back full time- will they agree a payment plan for the Mat pay?

(6 Posts)
jeffily Mon 20-Jul-09 07:38:13

I am a teacher in a primary school in East Sussex currently on mat leave, due to go back 2010. My DD is 4 months now. I have applied for a flexible working pattern, a job share, when I go back, and so far it hasn't been turned down, but I know that my boss is not keen. Basically, we need the extra money of my enhanced mat pay at the moment as DH is not earning enough to support us all, but there is just no way that I can face going back full time if HT does say no.

If he does, and I decide not to go back in that case, will they expect that extra money back in one lump sum, or will they agree a payment plan? Obviously losing my income completely and having to pay back about £5,000 (I think that is what it adds up to) will be a shocker! Realistically I don't think we would be able to do it, and I am fretting about it!

BonsoirAnna Mon 20-Jul-09 07:43:07

Why don't you go back full-time and look for another, part-time, job?

PrincessToadstool Mon 20-Jul-09 07:46:17

What are the terms of the mat. pay? E.g. in my job I had to return for 12 weeks (I ended up staying though) - so could you manage a term and then leave, if this applies to you?

twinklytoes Mon 20-Jul-09 08:51:32

I don't think you need to go back to the same school though. you can apply to any school within the LEA. might be wrong but am sure I've read that here before.

violethill Thu 23-Jul-09 15:27:35

I think princess is correct that you have to return for a period of time or pay the money back.
If you're not prepared to return at all, full stop, then you really should not have accepted the enhanced maternity pay. You must have been given the option to just take statutory? The enhanced pay is on the basis that you will return to work - not just given out of goodwill by the employer!

I think it makes sense to go back anyway, even if it's just to avoid paying back the money. Surely you can manage 12 weeks or whatever?

flowerybeanbag Thu 23-Jul-09 15:34:16

Terms of repayment ought to have been made clear to you - you should be able to check the maternity policy to see how long you need to return for to avoid paying back any of the extra money.

In terms of whether they will accept any kind of payment plan that will really be up to them. Again it might say something about how costs will be reclaimed in the maternity policy. I imagine if you are owed any holiday pay or any other pay they will reclaim all that and will then ask for the rest by cheque. You will need to explain that you can't pay it all at once, propose an amount to be paid each month and hope they agree to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now